Question System won't power on after replacing parts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Draw out the existing connections showing all headers, pin numbers, labels, connecting wire colors.

The diagram does not need to be artistic or "professional". Just clear and easy to follow. You may need to redo it a couple of times.

I have often made photocopies of the main components and then drawn in the wires between them. Pin by pin. If one copy gets too cluttered or (more often) proves incorrect then I redo the drawing on another copy.

I am very hesitant to just say yes to something because there may be some other consideration or detail that I am not aware. And, in all fairness, that could be something that you have not yet noticed or recognized.

For the most part, I would expect that necessary end configuration will be standard. That needs to be proven.

And even if not standard, the connections need to be fully understood.
Okay... How? I mean as in I can grab the f_panel connector and follow the wires from the pin to the power supply. Including colour coding, is that it? I'm somewhat confused about what that means. Is there a video or something that can show what that means?

Ralston18

Titan
Yes; follow the wires and use the color coding to ensure that you do not inadvertently move to the wrong wire.

Then, on paper draw out what you find. case connector pin --> wire ---> Motherboard connector pin.

All wires and pins must be accounted for. And they may, indeed, be simply not used.

The naming/labeling on each end can be different. On the case it may be "PWRSW" and on the motherboard "PWRBTN" or "HDLED+ and HDLED- vs HDDLED+ and HDDLED-.

That is a bit trickier because there is polarity involved (positive + and negative -) and polarity must be maintained as well.

End objective being that the power switch connection path (once determined) is providing necessary pin to pin path to turn on the computer when the power button is pushed.

The same holds for the drive activity light, the reset switch.

Google "motherboard pin out guide" and "front panel connector". You should find many images showing pins, labeling, and color coding.

So you draw a similar diagram based on your build. With the added complication of needing an adapter along the way. (The blue adapter I think.)

Front panel ----> Blue Adapter -----> Motherboard Panel1 All nine wires (if all are used) end to end should be shown.

When everything matches and all connections are accounted for, then you will know how everything should be connected. Verify again via the motherboard's presentation of Onboard Headers and Connectors.

And yes - the wires may change color (hopefully not) but as long as you are aware of that and know that the change is only in color (not pin, not label, not function) then the color is immaterial.

Link:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...herboard-PB-LED-P5-header-pinout/td-p/5720961

Read the posts and look at the 11-10-2019 post and the included sketch.

You need a sketch like that that shows all the connections you are trying to figure out.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Draw out the existing connections showing all headers, pin numbers, labels, connecting wire colors.

The diagram does not need to be artistic or "professional". Just clear and easy to follow. You may need to redo it a couple of times.

I have often made photocopies of the main components and then drawn in the wires between them. Pin by pin. If one copy gets too cluttered or (more often) proves incorrect then I redo the drawing on another copy.

I am very hesitant to just say yes to something because there may be some other consideration or detail that I am not aware. And, in all fairness, that could be something that you have not yet noticed or recognized.

For the most part, I would expect that necessary end configuration will be standard. That needs to be proven.

And even if not standard, the connections need to be fully understood.
Oh, I've just seen that my last post i sent didn't actually send. Sorry for the late reply, and I've drawn it out I think how you mentioned, I'm still confused if its correct, and also, when I write down the headers for it, is it the header for the f panel i have in my old board, or the new one?