[SOLVED] System won't start

Jun 4, 2021
I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100 that won't boot. Here is what I have done

Unplugged power cord from PSU and waited until mobo led went out, then plugged cord back in mobo led lights up but PSU led was very very dim.

Research on the web and found how to do a paperclip test for PSU. When I did that test the PSU led was light and bright and PSU started. So I reconnected the PSU back to mobo and plugged in power cord to PSU, again PSU led very dim.

Also check the power button by shorting the pins on mobo to bypass power button. That provided the same results, no start, mobo led lit up, PSU led very very dim.

I also remove all cables, drives, and card (memory and graphics) basically removed everything but the CPU from the mobo and reseated them as one post on here said it might be loose cable or peripheral.

I'm leaning toward mobo being the issue only because the PSU led lights up bright when the 24 pin connector is removed from the mobo.

Mobo: G3HR7, Dell Studio XPS 8100
PSU: PS-6351-2 CPB09-001B ATX0350D5WC Watt, 10 years old
Hard Drives: Samsung 850EVO 250Gb 50% full and Seagate ST31500341AS 30% full
GPU: ATI Radeon Model # unknown

Just looking for validation or other possible things to check. Thx in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

The paperclip test is very basic.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or have a family member or friend who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU a prime suspect.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

The paperclip test is very basic.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or have a family member or friend who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU a prime suspect.

Solution
Jun 4, 2021
Ralston18, Thanks for the reply. I will update my post with the information you suggested and also test the PSU with the information you provided in the link.

Jun 4, 2021
Tested the PSU with a multi-meter.

All 3.3V connections within tolerance at 3.2V
All 12V connections within tolerance at 12V
No 5V connections within tolerance at 4.6V, minimum acceptable is 4.75V

I ordered a new PSU this morning after the failed test above. I will update this once I receive the PSU and install it.

BTW, the computer will not even boot. No power on, no Safe mode or anything.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021
New PSU worked, but 15 pin SATA (power) connections to close on the longest line to connect both SSD and HD, so I used the SATA power for DVD.

System booted fine, so I ordered an extension for the SATA power. Should be all set in a few days.

I consider this issue closed. I will not update this thread any further.

Thanks again to Ralston18 for the link to manual check the PSU!