System76 Launching Touchscreen Notebook with Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Can't you make any ultra-think a Linux Laptop by installing Ubuntu on it? The only real trouble I've ever had with doing that is...the drivers -_-

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

The point of buying this Ubuntu notebook is (supposedly) not having any driver problems with the shipping version of the OS, and you end up saving money as opposed to a Windows notebook because it's a free OS. So if you're planning on getting an "Ultrabook" and using Ubuntu anyway (or use it for casual use and don't care) you should probably consider this.

Joshua Lee

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
$900 for a free OS and intel graphics. It's really just a better value to spend $300 on a toshiba/lenovo windows 8 laptop that has an i3/i5 and dump ubuntu on it as driver support actually exists for those brands.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

Right, but it's pretty overpriced in the end, that why I said that (I should have said it was overpriced in my original comment :p)

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I don't know.. With a thin chassis, 14.1" 1080p touchscreen, 802.11ac wireless, msata option, it seems that they haven't really skimped on anything.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but while it's true that the OS is free, they're basically selling a premium, higher spec notebook compared to other 899$ Windows machines, with a full functioning OS as a bonus.
That said, if you can live without the touchscreen / 1080p / slim chassis / wireless ac standard, you should find much better deals elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.