[SOLVED] "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" BSOD (ntoskrnl.exe) on New PC ?

alcatraz99

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
Hello everyone. I built a new PC with the following specifications:-
  • OS - Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043 (21H1)
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (Not overclocked)
  • GPU - ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity
  • Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING (BIOS Version 1803)
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x16GB 3600MHz CL18 DDR4 RAM (CMK16GX4M1Z3600C18)
  • SSD - Kingston A2000 1TB Gen3 NVMe SSD
  • PSU - Cooler Master V850 SFX
Whenever I boot up my PC, I get a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION Blue Screen Of Death. It isn't very frequent and it does not happen on a restart. However, I would like to get rid of this problem entirely.

Whenever I face this BSOD, I make sure to run these two commands: -
  • DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  • sfc /scannow
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them
I have also used BlueScreenView to see the minidumps generated after the BSOD, here's an output of one of them - View: https://imgur.com/a/sGBdeJp

It says that it has been caused by ntoskrnl.exe. I have three such minidumps present in C:/Windows/Minidump, and they can be accessed from this Google Drive Folder Link in a .zip file: -
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hMH3YyfXwb0p8am6rLVsg6BN0RoeYT0q?usp=sharing

I hope this information is enough to resolve my issue! :D

Last edited:
Solution
Is PC still misbehaving?

if it never happens on a restart, and you have an ssd, turn this off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
its not a real fix but it if error doesn't happen on restart, it will sure stop it.

By default all win10 PC have fast startup on. What it does is, instead of turning PC off at shutdown, it puts it into a hybred hibernate mode and saves data to either ram or ssd. On start, its only waking up and loads a lot faster. This is great for systems with hdd but it doesn't help ssd and it can mess with drivers that don't play well with win 10 power modes.
Turning it off means PC is actually off when shut down.

Colif

Win 11 Master
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

I will ask a friend to convert the dump files, see if they tell us the real cause.

Reactions: alcatraz99

alcatraz99

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

I will ask a friend to convert the dump files, see if they tell us the real cause.

Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you. :)

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/ofrvyb4g/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:091021-12281-01.dmp (Sep 10 2021 - 03:22:55)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Registry)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 50 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

File information:090721-6765-01.dmp (Sep 6 2021 - 22:29:34)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

File information:090621-7062-01.dmp (Sep 6 2021 - 00:00:36)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 13 Hour(s), 33 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-i-gaming-model/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not everyday I see 3 BSOD dumps that are almost identical. Guess it does make sense, its the same action every time, but i normally see at least 1 line as different.

Not happening on a restart could mean its a driver, the fact error follows same actions everytme is another reason to suspect a driver

have a look in event viewer at start up just after this error occurs next time, as this error might have more details showing what driver is making the request.

no obvious drivers
vanguard aka Valorant anti cheat can cause problems
maybe update chipset drivers - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

ther are 4 newer bios than the one you are on, they might help as 2 say they improve system stability.

alcatraz99

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
Not everyday I see 3 BSOD dumps that are almost identical. Guess it does make sense, its the same action every time, but i normally see at least 1 line as different.

Not happening on a restart could mean its a driver, the fact error follows same actions everytme is another reason to suspect a driver

have a look in event viewer at start up just after this error occurs next time, as this error might have more details showing what driver is making the request.

no obvious drivers
vanguard aka Valorant anti cheat can cause problems
maybe update chipset drivers - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

ther are 4 newer bios than the one you are on, they might help as 2 say they improve system stability.

I'm currently running the latest chipset drivers directly downloaded from AMD's website. I'll also make sure to update the BIOS to the latest version available on ASUS' website.

I'm extremely sorry that I forgot to inform about what I saw on Event Viewer, as I should've mentioned this earlier! :(

On "Administrative Events" view, I remember seeing the Kernel-Power Critical Error with the following description - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

The BSOD usually follows after this event.

I'm not sure if this information is necessary, but I turn off the mains switch immediately after shutting down my PC. I've noticed that whenever I wait for a minute or two after shutting down my PC, I never get this BSOD.

Just to be on the safer side, I've currently disabled Fast Startup on my PC, after which I no longer see the Kernel-Power Critical Error in the Event Viewer's "Administrative View" anymore.

Is it possible that my actions were causing a BSOD all this time?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
that event is created AFTER the restart so see if any before that event that might give a clue

That is an event 41 (63). On restart the PC runs a report to check on previous shutdown and if it finds it was unexpected, it creates that event. It just means windows doesn't know why it restarted.

alcatraz99

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
that event is created AFTER the restart so see if any before that event that might give a clue

That is an event 41 (63). On restart the PC runs a report to check on previous shutdown and if it finds it was unexpected, it creates that event. It just means windows doesn't know why it restarted.

Oh, okay! I thought it made one right before restarting, thanks for clarifying that bit.
I've uploaded the screenshots for the events on 10/09/2021, just 3 images - View: https://imgur.com/a/KFIYG8N

Colif

Win 11 Master
there were no real events before the restart that would help in there. Everything before the 3rd event happened the previous start up.

Has it happened since updating bios?

ASUS A-Volute VAD Microphone Driver for Windows 10
Aug 06 2019AVoluteSS3Vad.sys3rd party Realtek univeral audio driver

Looking for what that was, I found its been tied to Valorant crashing so could be a conflict - this was last year though

I only looked as you also have
May 26 2020RTKVHD64.sysRealtek Audio System driver https://www.realtek.com/en/
and it seemed odd having 2 audio drivers.

alcatraz99

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
there were no real events before the restart that would help in there. Everything before the 3rd event happened the previous start up.

Has it happened since updating bios?

ASUS A-Volute VAD Microphone Driver for Windows 10
Aug 06 2019AVoluteSS3Vad.sys3rd party Realtek univeral audio driver

Looking for what that was, I found its been tied to Valorant crashing so could be a conflict - this was last year though

I only looked as you also have
May 26 2020RTKVHD64.sysRealtek Audio System driver https://www.realtek.com/en/
and it seemed odd having 2 audio drivers.

I didn't get any BSOD since 10/09/2021, and I haven't even updated my BIOS yet. I'll update it tonight, though. I had a very busy week! :(

I have checked the list of programs installed on my PC, and the only entry I have for audio drivers is Realtek Audio Driver (6.0.8960.1). I have enabled the sound effects on Realtek Audio Console for my headset (Cooler Master MH630), as it allowed me to set a custom EQ. I've also enabled microphone boost and AEC (Acoustic Echo Cancellation), as my headset is infamous for its crosstalk/audio leak issues.

I'm assuming the ASUS Audio enhancements are a part of the Realtek Audio drivers, as they were installed by Armoury Crate when I installed Windows 10 on my PC for the very first time.

Last edited:

alcatraz99

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
That is another way to get it. Asus now have their new bios suggesting people install their software 1st install. Its not handy when it doesn't all work

If you don't get any more BSOD, don't bother with BIOS update.

Precisely. I've always had the habit of installing all the drivers manually, and this was actually a first for me. It might be convenient for some, but it definitely isn't for me. There's no way for me to know if the drivers have installed successfully or not.

So, is there anything else I can do apart from updating my BIOS?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is PC still misbehaving?

if it never happens on a restart, and you have an ssd, turn this off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
its not a real fix but it if error doesn't happen on restart, it will sure stop it.

By default all win10 PC have fast startup on. What it does is, instead of turning PC off at shutdown, it puts it into a hybred hibernate mode and saves data to either ram or ssd. On start, its only waking up and loads a lot faster. This is great for systems with hdd but it doesn't help ssd and it can mess with drivers that don't play well with win 10 power modes.

Solution

alcatraz99

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
Is PC still misbehaving?

Yep, I've disabled this. So far, it hasn't shown me a BSOD even once. Guess this was the solution after all! :D