SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION - BSOD on boot with no dump file generated

adrianmeads

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Hello all,

I am currently experiencing a very frustrating SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD problem on my laptop everytime I boot the machine. No dump file is generated.
I can boot the machine in Safe mode fine but the normal boot process always causes the same SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error.
The BSOD doesn't mention a specific driver, file or error code and only displays the generic message, as shown here:

FA8ICMP.jpg

Here are some of the things I have tried so far:

- Turned off "automatic restart" in Startup and Recovery options
- Checked page file settings & specified "Small Memory Dump" with "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" folder [also tried other options & proven dump files can normally be created]
- Memtest runs fine. Ran overnight and it completed at least 4 full passes of the test.
- Tried startup repair boot option
- Tried scandisk
- Tried "chkdsk C: /f /r /x"
- Tried "sfc /scannow"
- Tried "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"
- Performed malware/rootkit check (MalwareBytes, TDSSKiller, HitmanPro, SAS)
- Used DriverVerifier set to monitor all non-microsoft drivers / no dump files generated still
- Ran through all entries in Device Manager and selected "Update driver"
- Checked BIOS is latest
- Updated SSD firmware to latest
- Updated majority of drivers via separate manufacturer installs
- It seems I have no ability to restore a checkpoint. I previously restored once and it did fix it but then returned a few days later.
- Tried various different BIOS settings
- Disabled most 3rd party devices in device manager
- Removed Antivirus (McAfee) using removal tool / the final cleanup awaiting a proper boot
- Removed IBM Trusteer Rapport
- Removed Intel & NVidia graphics drivers via DDU utility
- Changed Intel AHCI and 7 series chipset drivers back to use MS defaults in devicemgr

Note: I know that the machine is correctly setup to create dump files as I have experienced two instances of SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD which have generated dump files (one came back after performing some of the above recovery steps, e.g. DISM).
These were related to a problem being caused by the IBM Trusteer Rapport "RapportHades64.sys" driver (as confirmed via windbg). I have since removed this software.

Here is my msinfo32 detail:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiH9N0SPFfbfn0dUY0ZwckRUZpuf

Do you happen to have any ideas for things to try next? I would really appreciate any help you can provide. :)

Solution
OK, I have just managed to fix this. It seems remnants of the IBM Trusteer Rapport software were still present on the machine. I managed to fix it by re-installing the latest version of the software and then uninstalling it. My laptop is properly back up and running now :)

In order to install/uninstall this software in safe mode, I had to make a few changes such as permitting the MSI and Rapport service to run (see http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-installer-work-in-safe-mode). If anyone needs any further details about this, please just let me know.

adrianmeads

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
OK, I have just managed to fix this. It seems remnants of the IBM Trusteer Rapport software were still present on the machine. I managed to fix it by re-installing the latest version of the software and then uninstalling it. My laptop is properly back up and running now :)

In order to install/uninstall this software in safe mode, I had to make a few changes such as permitting the MSI and Rapport service to run (see http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-installer-work-in-safe-mode). If anyone needs any further details about this, please just let me know.

Solution