SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Error - What to do?

jmarcello

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
What Failed: atikmdag.sys

I have the most up to date drivers on my computer but I keep getting the blue screen. Especially during installations of World of Warcraft and Overwatch.

I have the following Display Adapter:AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

What info would you need to help diagnose the problem?

I read somewhere that Radeon Last stable version of the R7 Driver was 17.11.1 but the latest driver on AMD's Website is 18.2.1 & 18.3.4 which i have installed.

Solution
: Replace atikmpag.sys or atikmdag.sys file

Follow the path C:\Windows\System32\drivers and locate the atikmdag.sys (or atikmpag.sys) file. Rename it as atikmdag.sys.old (or atikmpag.sys.old).

Go to AMD directory (Usually in C:\AMD) and find the file atikmdag.sy_ or atikmpag.sy_.

Copy the file to your desktop.

If you can’t find it in this folder, try typing the name of the file into the search box in the Start panel.

On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Type cmd and click Command Prompt.

Type chdir desktop and press Enter to change the directory to your Desktop.

Type expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and press Enter.

Or, type in expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and press Enter.

When the...

acer2dn

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
: Replace atikmpag.sys or atikmdag.sys file

Follow the path C:\Windows\System32\drivers and locate the atikmdag.sys (or atikmpag.sys) file. Rename it as atikmdag.sys.old (or atikmpag.sys.old).

Go to AMD directory (Usually in C:\AMD) and find the file atikmdag.sy_ or atikmpag.sy_.

Copy the file to your desktop.

If you can’t find it in this folder, try typing the name of the file into the search box in the Start panel.

On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Type cmd and click Command Prompt.

Type chdir desktop and press Enter to change the directory to your Desktop.

Type expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and press Enter.

Or, type in expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and press Enter.

When the expansion is complete, copy the new atikmdag.sys file from your Desktop to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.

Restart your computer and the problem should be resolved.

Solution

jmarcello

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

When you say atikmdag.sy_ I cant find the file type ending in "_" should it be atikmdag.sys?

acer2dn

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018

Try it out.

jmarcello

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

Gave it a go and its still blue screening upon trying to install a Game from Blizzard.

acer2dn

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018

Sorry for the insanely late reply, I didn't check the forums as much. Did you overclock your card by any chance?