[SOLVED] SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED stornvme.sys

torranfdodd

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017
On my new PC build, i keep randomly getting the BSOD with the message

"SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED stornvme.sys"

Sometimes it does it after a few minutes, sometimes after about 30 mins. I've tried updating windows (it doesn't let me for some reason), all my driver's are up to date and have even reinstalled windows and it kept doing it

Solution
stornvme.sys is the Microsoft NVME driver.

do you have the latest chipset driver? - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/Z390-M-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Colif

Win 11 Master
stornvme.sys is the Microsoft NVME driver.

do you have the latest chipset driver? - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/Z390-M-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Solution

smaddeus

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
I have same issue, except it happens after some days or weeks. I only got it twice for now, last one was a week and some days ago. The thing is, my M.2 SSD doesn't get detected after automatic reboot, and neither in BIOS, but after I switch the PSU off with cable attached, and hold the power button for the remaining current to disappear, as well as multiple times pressed the power button for safety reasons, to have it clean from power, and the same after I unplugged the PSU cable. Then I powered it back up and it showed my SSD, I just had to make it as my primary drive again, since OS is on it, so that it automatically boots from it.

Specs are:
Mobo: Aorus X570 Elite (latest BIOS etc. just now noticed there is another BIOS update - F10, so I will download that one, but first time, after this happened, I noticed a new version, the one I am now using as of this writing (F10C), but now I will update to the latest, again, so basically I will have the latest BIOS...which is simply F10, probably being the final from F10 versions).

SSD: ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 SSD.

I followed Colif's instructions about Small Memory Dump, and since I had this error 2nd time in almost 2 weeks, then I suppose I wont be able to deliver the dump file for examination, so that I could get the help as well.

I looked up on ADATA homepage, searched for this SSD, in case they have chipset drivers, seems they have, but I can't really update because OS is on it, and it requires everything to be clean in order to do it, plus, it will clean the drive by himself when performing it, but only if it's as a secondary drive. So I wont do it. Plus, my friend has the same motherboard and same SSD having OS on it too. No issues regarding it, we both simply plugged it in and installed windows on it.

I have latest windows updates as well, the 1909. I hope I will remember about this thread next time the issue occurs so that I could post the dump file. Hopefully it wont occur again.

The things I have done when this started to occur, was not long after I bought new PSU - NZXT E850, basically Seasonic marked under NZXT, so I refuse to believe Season would make something like this that would potentially cause current issues. Maybe something with the motherboard, or just a faulty SSD?

How I hate hardware issues.

UPDATE:
I just had another one, basically a week has passed...so it's like every week on almost exact same day this happens. Sadly it didn't created minidump file. Another thing to add, since the first time it BSOD on me, it showed 0% of collecting info until it restarted.
Any other way to get it? I tried to look up the event viewer, sadly it doesn't really tell what happened besides the error code that googling didn't really gave me specific answer, just something around the area that I am already aware of.

I had my SSD screwed inside the 2nd slot out of 2, this time I figured I would change the slot and screwed it the first one. Lets see how it goes.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS