User_Zero

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
My PC keeps Crashing to blackscreen (as if the screen gets no input),
or it freezes and is stuck in the frame it was displaying. The fans don't
get louder, the air from the vents is cold, the tower is cold, the hard drive
makes no strange noises, the screen isn't the culprit either, It might be
the CPU as it used to randomly spike to 100% before everything started
to freeze up all the time, I am not sure though.

Edit:
I tried different things and might have an idea what it might be,
The time it needs to boot increased by a lot, the cpu usage seems high to me
even for the smallest tasks, (opening chrome 52%, trying to download a software 80%, it's a 3,4 GHz Quad Core)
and as soon as I try to do anything other than opening some folders, or the control panel, like opening a .jpg
it crashes. It freezes for a few seconds, then goes black.

Could it be the PSU? How can I know for certain? (I tried using Easytune 6 (Gigabyte Z77P-d3 Mainboard)
to monitor the voltage, but before I got to that, it crashed again. Also I did start to get a few bluescreens
a few weeks ago. According to different threads it all points to PSU failure.
So I want to open my PC up, any hints what to look for? Or could it be something different?

-thanks for reading

User_Zero

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
So I did that, I started it up in safemode, and while I was at it, I used the system restore to reset the system to just a day before the problems began.
After that I booted it up again and everything worked fine, I played GTA V for hours (which has my system at its limits) and it even seemed to run better
than before (though that might just have been wishful thinking) and up until today I did everything I usually do (watching videos, movies, playing games, using teamspeak, everything basically) and out of the blue it happened again. I had just booted up, gotten into a game and the audio got distorted and the screen froze. I noticed a few things actually, for one the next time it crashed it was with the cpu having been at 19-40 % usage (while the crash happened the task manager displayed 19%). Upon the attempts to reboot it the pc would seemingly work fine (fans running, lights on, etc.) but there would be no beep. Each time it didn't beep the screen would stay black, and I could turn it of by simply clicking the power button rather than as usual holding it down for 4-5 seconds.

Do you (or someone else) have any other things I could try? Maybe it is time to open up the case but I don't know what to look for, or do, or how to troubleshoot the components.

[system resetting a second time didn't work unfortunately]