T-Mobile Letting Sidekick Users Break Contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
It's good T-Mobile is allowing people out of their contracts. After all, how can you claim a service contract is valid when you failed to provide any service?

However, this wasn't T-Mobile's fault past the fact that they trusted Danger (and Microsoft) with the management of the data servers. I would stick to T-Mobile, but definitely not with the Sidekick. Try a G1, MyTouch, or even a BlackBerry, and avoid the cloud.

That said, even Google and RIM could screw-up, and cause a loss of data due to a failed synch or something similar, no modern technology is safe from idiocy. Always keep your own backups (if possible) of anything you consider valuable.

G

I stopped reading after the person dissed Blackberry. If you put SK above Blackberry then you are retarded.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I would like a phone that actually works and a compensation for the damages caused by the data loss.
All in all, I wouldn't settle for less than $1K.

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I'd probably want to leave contract and still be offered compensation for the time I'd have to spend getting everything back regardless of whether or not I switch networks

wndrrd

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
"They also suggested Blackberries etc, but I didn't get the pricing (since those are design disasters compared to SK or iPhone)."

Haha now that is funny. Umm lets see my Blackberry links to my outlook so contact, calender, to-do lists are alway at my finger tips. Design disasters that is funny SH*T......lol

wndrrd

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
They also suggested Blackberries etc, but I didn't get the pricing (since those are design disasters compared to SK or iPhone).

Haha now that is funny. Umm lets see my Blackberry links to my outlook so contact, calender, to-do lists are alway at my finger tips. Design disasters that is funny SH*T......lol

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]I would like a phone that actually works and a compensation for the damages caused by the data loss.All in all, I wouldn't settle for less than $1K.[/citation]
Thats the problem with most of you people and your AOL mentality. AOL started the garbage of inconvenience credits now everyone feels they are entitled to it. Im glad my company has adopted a policy of doing away with convenience credits. Your service was out for 3 days. You get a credit that is = to 3 days of service which is truthfully all anyone is entitled to. Convenience is arbitrary therefore not measureable in any shape or form.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]geminireaper[/nom]Thats the problem with most of you people and your AOL mentality. AOL started the garbage of inconvenience credits now everyone feels they are entitled to it. Im glad my company has adopted a policy of doing away with convenience credits. Your service was out for 3 days. You get a credit that is = to 3 days of service which is truthfully all anyone is entitled to. Convenience is arbitrary therefore not measureable in any shape or form.[/citation]

What problem are you referring? How is it a problem to hold a company accoutnable to the same standards you are being held to. Let's say you want to break you're 2 year contract. Are you charge a prorated amount or a flat fee? Let's say you're call is dropped in you're home calling area. Are you repaid for the time lost (note that companies that do offer this type of repayment have limits)?

Companies hold you to a flat standard. Not some "Convenience" system. You should hold a company in that same respect. How do you value data, pictures, contacts....which may be pricless. Service is not arbitrary, which these customers lost.

On side note. I'm curious. What company do you work for?

G

When T-Mobile had issues with it's contract with ATT for their towers. They let people that were affected out of their contract. Here they are giving options to customers to leave or switch to a different product. I feel that many of the other carriers would not give these same options. I also agree that lost data is a users responsibility, not the company who made the product. If you backup your information on a hard drive and it dies do we hold the hdd company liable for the drive and the information? I am sure I am the minority for this opinion, but it is mine.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
@IT for the Masses - It depends. If you're paying somebody to let you store data in the cloud then as the user you are not 100% liable for your data. The company you are paying is just as liable as the user. All of the T-Mobile Sidekick phones were nothing more than a pretty looking dumb terminal that couldn't function without an internet connection to T-Mobile's network. In this case the user had zero liability because they had no control over where their data was stored.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'm quite satisfied with the resolution to the issue.
Give people $100 and a free month, or let them freely exit the contract (hopefully with the $100 still).

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Regardless of who dropped the ball and what phone is crap or isn't I think it needs to be said that out of all the service providers I've ever used T-Mobile has by far been the absolute best in trying to correct any service or hardware issues I've ever had.

When an account rep calls you out of the blue and they reccomend you downgrade to a lower service tier because you aren't using alot of text messages but your paying the higher price for unlimited I think that says alot about a companies priorities. Most companies want to upsell you to death. Plus they threw in a free custom shell and gel cover for my new MyTouch simply because my data plan didn't activate on the day I was to recieve my new phone. If they keep the level of service they've had the past two years I'll gladly renew my contract again in another two years.

naterandrews

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I think that TMO is being very accommodating- $100 bucks plus a free month of service (voice and data) is a great "we are sorry". You can break your contract as well if you feel put off enough as well. What would you expect them to do, they aren't the ones holding the data.

Considering what TMO is doing, do you think other carriers would be so generous? WWATTD- What would ATT Do?

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
@naterandrews - AT&T and all of the other carriers out there were never stupid enough to make a mistake of this magnitude. What cell phone company in their right mind would sell a device that can only store personal data remotely? T-Mobile must have the dumbest people in the world in their upper management.

Status
Not open for further replies.