T-Mobile Merges With MetroPCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
T-mobile's Wifi calling is a killer app. I am so surprised the big boys haven't caught on. This effectively eliminates dead spots in critical locations like the home and office.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
T-mobiles wifi calling app sucks for some phones... Always disconnects and sometimes cannot connect even thought wifi signal is max. However, its great for other phones I guess.

Also I think t-mobile is the best out of the 4 big carriers. They have the lowest prices for their monthly plan and have decent phones.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
MetroPCS is CDMA. T-Mobile is GSM. How is this going to work exactly? Are they going to make all the customers of MetroPCS buy new phones? Just throwing that out there. I haven't done any research how exactly this is going to work. But when I still lived in the Bay Area, MetroPCS is the Cricket of Portland, horrible, horrible service.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
[citation][nom]RabidFace[/nom]MetroPCS is CDMA. T-Mobile is GSM. How is this going to work exactly? Are they going to make all the customers of MetroPCS buy new phones? Just throwing that out there. I haven't done any research how exactly this is going to work. But when I still lived in the Bay Area, MetroPCS is the Cricket of Portland, horrible, horrible service.[/citation]

Yep. They're going to phase out the CDMA network and have prepaid customers "upgrade" to gsm phones. The integration of the overlapping networks are going to hurt but the spectrum in several markets are going to be substantial. LA, NYC, and chicago (?) are going to have 10x10 or even 20x20 spectrum available iirc.

But... eh...

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
For people that say t-mobiles wifi calling doesn't work well, they might need a new router or you have lot of interference. You can have a bad router and not really notice the drops. I would recommend you check out WiFi Analizer for android, helps a lot (inSSIDer for windows).

WiFi calling works great for me but causes a lot of problems if you have a flacky wifi connection.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]NeatOman[/nom]For people that say t-mobiles wifi calling doesn't work well, they might need a new router or you have lot of interference. You can have a bad router and not really notice the drops. I would recommend you check out WiFi Analizer for android, helps a lot (inSSIDer for windows).WiFi calling works great for me but causes a lot of problems if you have a flacky wifi connection.[/citation]

\My mother uses it and it works fine. There is no cell reception in her area so she has no choice but go this route and it works quite well. The people who it does not work for most likely have shitty internet connections and/or bad modems.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I just switched from Virgin Mobile's $35/Mo plan to Metro's $55/Mo plan. I did this because I wanted a phone upgrade to at least Dual Core Android, and I also wanted Visual Voicemail, which only MetroPCS provided for pre-paid no-contract customers.

T-Mobile had a very tempting pre-paid offer: $50/Mo pre-paid, with few meaningful caps, a better network and some very neat phones to choose from. However, they had disabled their Visual Voicemail for pre-paid customers, which totally sucked. They also didn't have any enticing phones at reasonable prices. Metro had the LG Motion 4g for under $150, but T-Mobile's 'decent' phones were far more, in the $250 or more range. I wanted the Lumia 710, but just couldn't justify the price.

So far, I am VERY happy with my Motion. Very snappy, very good battery life, and I got the Visual Voicemail I so craved. Their 4G network works just fine for me in Metro Detroit, and their service has been just fine.

I am even thinking of switching my wife from a grandfathered Sprint Family plan for her feature phone to MetroPCS just so I can get the Motion 4G for her too...

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I hope prices don't go up. Here in NY MetroPCS works very well and for $50 a month with no contract it's a good deal when everybody else is charging $70-100 a month with contract

Status
Not open for further replies.