T-Mobile Promises To Be More Transparent Regarding Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
T-Mobile is not an ISP, so why is Tom Wheeler trying to regulate them as such? Why isn't Tom Wheeler doing something that's actually in the best interest of the people who actually pay his salary?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
T-Mobile is not an ISP, so why is Tom Wheeler trying to regulate them as such? Why isn't Tom Wheeler doing something that's actually in the best interest of the people who actually pay his salary?
FCC is in charge of RF spectrum. It is one of the few areas they are suppose to regulate. This would include Mobile Internet since its RF signal.
I use T-Mobile because I know they throttle once I reach data-cap which is why I chose them. I would rather be throttled then metered.

caqde

Distinguished
Wouldn't it be whitelisting not blacklisting? That would seem to be the given idea here. Since for instance if you whitelist in a AV application everything but what is on the list would be blocked but if you blacklist the items on the list would be blocked and everything else would be fine. The example you give basically is saying the sites on the list are always given full speed. So it seems Tmobile has a whitelist that goes active when an account is throttled where everything on the list gets full speed and everything else not on the list is throttled.

cmi86

Distinguished
Lets just be honest here and admit that every carrier throttles everyone just about every chance they can whether they "admit/get caught" or not. You being a good customer paying on time and in full is how they make their money. Providing you with a product requires them to spend some of that money. Providing you with less of a product allows them to spend less money. At the end of the day any of these mega corporations have only one thing on their minds and it sure isn't their customers. $$$

alternativesurfer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

How is T-Mobile NOT an ISP?
Our phones are more like computers than phones these days, and the carriers provide access to the internet.
I think that is the definition of an ISP.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Yea I'm not sure how you can say T-Mobile is not an ISP. They provide internet connectivity in many ways. It may not be traditional cable, DSL, or satellite. Mobile broadband is still internet though.... You are signing a contract with a company and they need to be honest about the service they are providing. For them to say they are providing you with X amount of service and provide inaccurate or misleading results when you try to test the service is dishonest.

jwagner354

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
ISP, not an ISP... thus, the debate over net neutrality. This is why we can't have nice things, we don't even understand what we're talking about here. Wake up people

Status
Not open for further replies.