T2500 cpu, SSD, 3.5gb ram - Windows 7 or 10?

mrflip99

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
I have a Lenovo T60 laptop with T2500 processor and 4gb Ram (3.5 recognized) and a newly installed SSD (Mobo limited to SATA1). I have already installed windows 10 and am seeing some lag time when browsing websites. I know its not the internet connection since it is very strong in my apt and I have a direct ethernet connected i5 desktop to know true load speeds of the same website.

Which windows version will maximize my speed/performance on my laptop with the newly installed SSD: Windows 7 or Windows 10?

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
None, it's a 6 years old processor with a small amount of ram, you are not "lagging", you are getting what the computer is capable of by today's standards. There's not much you can do because you can't upgrade the ram either.

Neither is any good, BOTH WILL LAG! Don't bother installing a new OS because the OS is worth more than the laptop. If you need something, get an older version of Ubuntu or Mint and it might be ok for something, but not websites with video or heavy scripting.

You need to turn that system into a file server or something already, it cannot handle modern websites . Hell, a Raspberry Pi 3 is about equal in performance and actually FASTER when it comes to encrypted websites.

Bi11Carson

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Older software was made to run on older hardware.
Your ram is 667 MHz. Be happy with windows XP.

Wouldn't say 4gb is not a small amount of ram. My friends Galaxy S5 has 2GB of ram and has no problems online. As matter of fact got an old Prescott P4 with 1.5gb of 266 mhz ram that can navigate this forum without a hiccup. Trick was using a lightweight web browser & it can stream video below 480p. It isn't the amount of ram that is the problem because usage rarely goes above 760 MB. Problem is the ram speed.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Ram speed is amost never the issue. It's the amount and the processor speed. And you can't compare a smartphone to a computer, let alone the mobile vs desktop version of a website, that just doesn't make sense.

Even if he installed Windows XP, most visual effects and websites with lots of objects would feel slow. There's no way around that, it's just how things evolve. If I had to chose an OS for that hardware, I'd go for something light like Linux Mint or Windows XP, but still, that WON'T make it any faster. It maaaaaay feel a little more responsive, nothing more.

mrflip99

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
thanks for all the responses, I went ahead and installed windows 7 on the laptop, and it definitely feels a bit faster than windows 10. with the specs i have, I am able to play 720p youtube videos with minimal lag. It is here where the difference between win10 and win7 is seen. its not the best, but it does the job for typcial internet browsing/videos.

Ansel_1

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Hi I have a hp compaq nc8430 with T2500 core duo processor.Windows 10 is sluggish but I installed windows 7 and it works pretty good.I am going to upgrade to a 64bit T7200 core 2 duo processor and install windows 10.Your system should be able to upgrade.