T3500 Non-ECC Memory Support~

MakoRuu

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hey guys. I'm having trouble finding a conclusive answer on this one.

I've been at it for a few hours now, reading various articles and threads and I haven't been able to determine if my PC can use both ECC and NECC memory.

I currently have 6Gbs of ECC memory in 3 x 2GB configuration. But they're not matched, and I'd like to upgrade and get a matched set. ( Currently 1x PC3-10600 and 2x PC3-8500)

I'd like to get a 12 GB kit of PC3-10600 /1333Mhz. UNREGISTERED (I know for certain the T3500 does not support registered memory.)

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-t3500_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

The spread sheet for all the T3500's I could find say that both ECC and NECC are supported.

However, I'm worried that there may be different versions of the T3500 Motherboards floating about. One that supports ECC, and one that supports NECC.

A friend of mine tells me that ECC and Non-ECC RAM are identically keyed in DDR3, and that it should work. But I'd like to get some more opinions before I spend any money.

This is my every day PC, and it's used for gaming, drawing, graphic design, browsing, and an little video rendering. Just the normal run of the mill stuff.

Thank you for your time and help.

Solution
im running 3 2gig hynex sticks from a old optiplex that broke and 3 2gig generic brand sticks. they run at 1333 mhz. the new egg set should work great as long as your not trying to combine the 3 4gig sticks with the ecc ram
ok i have this motherboard however with ram there is always a SLIGHT chance it dosn't work how its expected to. you will be able to put standard desktop ddr3 ram in the 6 spots i am currently running 6*2 gb sticks. you are ALSO able to run ecc UNREGISTERED/UNBUFFERED ram as you are already.

im running 3 2gig hynex sticks from a old optiplex that broke and 3 2gig generic brand sticks. they run at 1333 mhz. the new egg set should work great as long as your not trying to combine the 3 4gig sticks with the ecc ram

Solution

MakoRuu

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
No. I'm going to remove the ECC RAM. I know that they can't run together.

Also; the T3500 doesn't like Registered memory, either.

So I have to be careful with that, too.

Thank you for clearing that up.

MakoRuu

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I wanted to get the X5650, but the single core performance wasn't any improvement over my W3520. It was only two additional cores; so I went with the W3580.

Got one for $40. lol

I was going to buy an X5687 but they were a bit out of my price range, and it's only 5% - 7% faster than the W3580 at two and a half times the cost.