Tablet Makers Not Rushing Toward Windows 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]dudzcom[/nom]Most brand vendors will not rush" to introduce Windows 8 tablets until Q4, the site wrote.... Um, windows 8 is coming out in October, so duh.[/citation]
Win8 for x86 until October, Win8 for ARM may be delayed until November or December from what I am hearing, so really we should not expect any until right before Christmas, or even as late as Q1 2013... That said, I think I would want an x86 tablet anyways... there's no real software for ARM yet.

G

papaspud, those vendors already have both ULV Intel chips (which are not tablet chips but ultra book convertible chips) and Medfield chips. They have what they need to test tablets and ultrabooks already. They are trying to figure out whether it is worth their effort to create these things since the idea is to make money. Apple is already on the Ipad3 and will probably be on Ipad4 by the time these things are shipping in volume. They are 3 iterations too late to make a big profit. Most of them are likely far more interested in ultrabook convertibles. The battery life on convertibles will give you the 8 hours but the system will be far more usable as a real laptop or all in one while still giving you a tablet.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Tablet Makers Not Rushing Toward Windows 8? ...because it's crap? M$ needs to buy something like nokia, to force it's crap on it...

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]dudzcom[/nom]Most brand vendors will not rush" to introduce Windows 8 tablets until Q4, the site wrote.... Um, windows 8 is coming out in October, so duh.[/citation]

Windows 8 will get a general release in October, but will probably go RTM around July if it follows a similar release schedule to Win 7. That gives OEMs ~3 months to play with the final version before the public sees it.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]I have a feeling that Windows 8 is going to be the next Vista/Me[/citation]

Its not, try the consumer preview.

papaspud, those vendors already have both ULV Intel chips (which are not tablet chips but ultra book convertible chips) and Medfield chips. They have what they need to test tablets and ultrabooks already. They are trying to figure out whether it is worth their effort to create these things since the idea is to make money. Apple is already on the Ipad3 and will probably be on Ipad4 by the time these things are shipping in volume. They are 3 iterations too late to make a big profit. Most of them are likely far more interested in ultrabook convertibles. The battery life on convertibles will give you the 8 hours but the system will be far more usable as a real laptop or all in one while still giving you a tablet.

Convertibles and basic docking devices. And the 'market' is blowing past Apple - and maybe, Intel.

Hard to see where Medfield will ever gain more than a minor foothold in that segment. I'm sure they'll be great phones, but the woods are full of great phones (with many of them most likely less expensive).

I'm also generally seeing a collective yawn :sleep: about Intel ULVs. OEMs seem to be balking about price even before the UBs hit the market. AMD has been binning 17/35w Trinity since the first week in February, backed up with TSMC-fabbed 4.5w (and lower) Zacate/BrazosT/Hondo/Vesna/Decan (whatever the Heck they are) production.

Let the deals begin [:lutfij:4] :lol:

What's missing in the discussion is Cedar Trail and what PowerVR does, or does not, for them. OEMs are not interested in an Atom priced higher but performing lower than a high-yield 40nm chip from the biggest Fab in the world.

AMD has never really had anything close to what may actually be a strategic advantage in engineering, production capacity and roadmap.

jnemesh

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Any of the tablets that come out this fall will have to be SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than the iPad if they hope to sell any. Apple pretty much has the high end tablet market locked up. Where things get REALLY interesting is in the $200-$400 price range! Google will have their 7" "Nexus" tablet around $200 to $250, and I bet they will sell TONS at that price!

People dont "need" Windows anymore, not the way they did 10 years ago. I don't have to have Microsoft's Office, I have dozens of other options that are file compatible! Further, most consumers aren't even VIEWING documents on their tablets...they are streaming Netflix, playing Angry Birds, posting to Facebook and surfing the web! ANY OS can accomplish this, so why on earth would I want to spend more money on a Microsoft tablet? Especially when that tablet has such a hideous UI and terrible developer support?

Mark my words, Windows 8 will be the downfall of Steve Ballmer, and also the demise of Microsoft's consumer division!

I don't think it will bankrupt the company...they have WAY too much money for that! However, it will make shareholders WAKE UP and realize that Microsoft has no business trying for the consumer market. In a few years, enterprise computing will be the only area Microsoft will be playing in.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Microsoft paid a few million to Nokia so it would pickup Windows Phone. I guess most manufacturers are saying "where is my check"

I know people who own Android tablets, or would buy one if they had the money. Android charges no license, there is not locking for developers or manufacturers, and it is more mature.

Windows Metro on the other hand, is based on licensing the OS, which at this point is like licensing a pensil. Its adoption would mostly benefit Microsoft and leave the manufacturers and developers with the short end of the stick. There is a reason the PC is called the WinTel machine. That is because only Microsoft and Intel got filthy rich out of it.

I Think manufacturers are intelligent to opt for a more open license when they choose ARM for the CPU, and they are smart to stay clear of Microsoft when they choose the OS.

ARM+Android also shows we are progressing as a society, because these technologies have to be comoditized (term from economics... look it up) so we can used them as building blocks to develop innovative ideas on top of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.