Tablet performs bad on Windows 10

KoutsiDK

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2014
Hello there we have an ASUS T100TAF tablet and it was running Windows 8 (with bing). Because it was too hard for my mother to use i upgraded it to Windows 10 and there some problems occurred. The performance was so bad I had to reset the installation. It did some work but now it slowed down. And it has some glitches with the cursor. Anyway 8.1 had no problem at all, but can anyone tell me if there is anything to be done to save it, or is it just better to install 8.1? Thanks

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

I have a T100A that was 8.1, and then upgraded to 10.
Zero issues. I think it runs a teeny bit faster with Win 10.

How did you go from 8.1 to 10? The regular inplace Upgrade?
You might want to consider a clean install. I'm actually in the middle of doing that right now on my Transformer.

USAFRet

Titan

The 'just barely' is no different from 8.1 to 10.
Again, I suggest a clean install of 10, and see what happens. The Upgrade often mucks things up.

KoutsiDK

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2014

Yes it was an upgrade, and not a clean install. Does upgrading from Windows 8.1 with Bing not work that well maybe? All the other pc's were upgraded from pure 8.1 and they run sweet. Also I didn't want to make clean install Win10 because i had legitimate activated version

USAFRet

Titan

A clean install will work just fine. And activate no problem.
My Transformer is 'almost done'

Create a USB stick install media.
Put it in the port.
Navigate to that, and run setup.exe
Install
Eventually, it will ask what you want to keep
Select Keep everything
Next
It will completely redo the OS, and leave all of your docs and applications where they are.

Right now, mine is in the final stages.

Oh, wait...it just finished. ALL existing applications and files...right where they used to be.

Just to clarify...you do NOT need a new OS license. It simply redoes the install, with the existing 'license'.

Solution

KoutsiDK

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2014

OK thanks I am gonna give it a shot

Good luck with the clean install. I'll just point out that there's really nothing wrong with Windows 8.1 if you install the free Classic Shell which gives you the look and feel of earlier versions of Windows. Personally I practice the rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I find that saves me a lot of grief.

Good luck.

KoutsiDK

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2014

Well that was just it. I used the Windows 10 media creation tool to do an installation (kept files only) and it works smoothly now. If only i knew about this from the beginning. Thanks for your help