Take a Long Time to Load and Apply User Profile

I have installed a Windows 2000 server (DC) and there are some Windows 2000
/ XP Professional workstations.
I found that the workstation will take a long time (more than 1 minutes) to
load and apply the user profile when the user logon to Windows 2000 Domain.

This problem have not happened when the workstation is Windows 98 / Me.

Please advise that what the setting problem is in Server side and
Workstation side.

Thanks a lot.

Sounds like these AD clients are not pointed to the DNS server set up for
the AD domain. Possibly your ISP's DNS servers?

AD must have a DNS server for the AD domain that supports SRV records. Win
2k's DNS can handle this.
Suggest you set up DNS on the Win 2k server, point it to itself for DNS in
the properties of TCP/IP, point all AD clients to this DNS server only
(servers in the domain are AD clients also), for Internet access set up your
AD DNS server to forward requests or use root hints.

See:
Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036

Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE