Take That, iMac?: Build Your Own All-In-One PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
I didn't try plugging anything else in to the full-sized slot, army, but Intel lists the two slots as full- and half-sized mini-PCI Express. The fact that mSATA works in the full-sized slot suggests to me cross-compatibility. Not 100% on this, though.

[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Is there a motherboard available that can include space for a discrete GPU as well?[/citation]
ASRock Z77E-ITX
ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE/WD
GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI
MSI Z77IA-E53

All of the above are Mini ITX Form Factor with 1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 slot.

Having a discrete graphics card sticking 111 mm out from the motherboard wouldn't be very attractive.

I suppose you can get a right angle PCIe x16 riser card to solve that problem.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009

Thanks for the reply Chris! Just making sure. :) Well, if Intel says so, then it probably is both an mSATA and mini-PCI-E slot with their implementation on that board.

Just remembered something. There was a recent review and a few news releases here on TH about Thunderbolt external GPU's (eGPU). Maybe Intel should've included a Thunderbolt port on this board, especially when you take into consideration the fact they co-created it (as I remember).
I think there's also a way to connect an eGPU via connector to a mini-PCI-E slot, like those found on laptops as well, though you'd probably have to find a way to get the wire(s) to go inside the AIO chassis, and leaving the back panel open doesn't seem too appealing to me. (http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gpu-external-graphics-discussion/418851-diy-egpu-experiences.html I found this on that review of the Thunderbolt to PCI-E enclosure, just to give credit. :) )

Anyway, I think it would be up to the user to consider if having something (the eGPU, possibly in an enclosure) similar to a tiny nettop beside their AIO is alright. I doubt there are nettops the size of a Mac Mini or Sapphire's EDGE HD3 that have better graphics power than the latter of the two. Maybe if there's one with an Ivy Bridge CPU with HD 4000 graphics (though I'm not sure what the or how big the difference is between that and the E-450's HD 6320 or (if there are or if there will be nettops with this, which sounds probable) the E1-1800's HD 7340). I think the Best Graphics hierarchy chart put the HD 4000 a few tiers above the HD 6320, but it's safer to check if interested.
Those two nettops seem like they'd be smaller and more compact/space-efficient than a decent eGPU would be, but an AIO with an eGPU is most likely more powerful (and a monitor with a nettop and and eGPU just seems silly. Hehehe...)

Sorry, just let my mind drift off... :lol:

Oh, and having an eGPU with an AIO sort of makes an oxymoron i.e. an all-in-one with an external GPU. Hehehe... Though I think the points I showed still hold.
But, like some have mentioned, a thicker AIO chassis to allow for a graphics card sounds better, performance-wise (without the latency of Thunderbolt which I'm not sure really manifests with performance numbers). (I had something like a daughterboard attached to a PCI-E slot to allow the graphics card to be mounted parallel to the motherboard, just like some compact desktop makers do I think.)
Chris did mention:

trip1ex

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
PRetty feckin' cool. I want to build one.

And I won't mention that you can get a like new iMac refurb with 1 yr warranty from Apple for $999. ;)

beninchi

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Great article... first time I've ever seen a DIY all in one. This could be the future of the hobby we love so much.
Can you provide a table with a breakdown of all parts, like you do in regular system build articles?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you know, for what its worth, if i wanted an all in one pc, as to not have a tower, not necessarily to make it as thin as possible, i wouldn't mind if the display was up to as thick as a crt, as im still, after i think 3 years of having an lcd, still use to all that space being taken up.

the main point to a all in one is that there are few wires out the back, just as many as necessary to run the computer, what i would love to know is if there are any full cases with lcd screens built into them, as that would be interesting... at least to me.

chryodem

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
If you go to the gigabyte website they have one that supports dedicated graphics. It doesn't look the greatest, but it comes with a 10 point multi-touch full 1080HD touchscreen and room for dual slot desktop video card. the HP Z1 is always a choice too if your not too picky.

G

I like the ideal of a All in One for looks. But in practice your basically limiting yourself in what hardware can work in a All in One. Apple still puts a Mobile chip in its iMac's. Most likely to limit heat and to reduce power consumption. A mobile GPU is also used. For me if I want a desktop, I do not want to have to replace a monitor and PC hardware always at the same time. Nor do I want to be committed to having no choice in a monitor or hardware. A perfect All in One would be a external small form PC mounted to the back of a monitor of my choice. Something that I could upgrade easily and perform repairs separate from the monitor. When you buy a iMac or other All in One. Your really replacing things you probably don't need too. I have had two desktop PC's for one monitor. LCD and more recently LED monitors have a long lifespan. Most likely the hardware part of a All in one will be outdated well before the monitor dies.

G

anything over the $500 mark and ill start looking at how I can fit a graphics card into it and make it worth it for myself. don't need a $700+ internet machine

superflykicks03

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
This could be done for less than 700 if you are just doing an internet machine. Put a dual core pentium and a low capacity hard drive and you save 170ish compared to what tom's spent on their i5 version.... I really want to build something like this, but:

-Looking at the items in the intel catalog, the Loop chassis is the only decent looking one.
-The Loop system has no room for decent graphics.

I think I will wait until there is an option as physically appealing as the Loop system that can support mobile dedicated graphics (or AMD Trinity)

beninchi

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
This DIY AiO idea is very appealing, but will becoming especially so when either:
1. It allows mobile or non-mobile discrete graphics in a chassis like this, OR
2. Integrated graphics on APUs get fast enough to game properly at 1080p (which is likely years off)

drkjedi

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hi! Just wondering when did you priced the components? Because according to my calculations, it's almost the same price as an iMac.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]drkjedi[/nom]Hi! Just wondering when did you priced the components? Because according to my calculations, it's almost the same price as an iMac.[/citation]
Maybe a week before the story went live, using a combination of Amazon and Newegg.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

I mimicked this build completely, added Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and upped the RAM to a dual channel 8GB kit and my price, counting tax for my state, is still coming in at just $904.00. Check out the build here:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400S 2.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($200.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Intel DH61AG Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($148.23 @ Compuvest)
Memory: G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($38.77 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.95 @ B&H)
Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208BB DVD/CD Writer ($30.83 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($96.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK260 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($25.21 @ eCost)
Other: Loop LP-2150 Case/Monitor (AIO Chassis) ($267.05)
Other: Intel HTS1155LP Low Profile CPU Cooler ($20.99)
Total: $904.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-24 17:14 EDT-0400)

superflykicks03

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
[citation][nom]drkjedi[/nom]Hi! Just wondering when did you priced the components? Because according to my calculations, it's almost the same price as an iMac.[/citation]

Amazon-
Mobo: 119.99
Heatsink: 26:35
Loop L5: 264.60

Newegg:
i5:$200.99
Ram: $16
Wireless: $20
Optical: $25
Logitech MK260: 28.99
WD Scorpio Black: $80

=780.99

The cheapest iMac is 1200.

drkjedi

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]Isaiah4110[/nom]I mimicked this build completely, added Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and upped the RAM to a dual channel 8GB kit and my price, counting tax for my state, is still coming in at just $904.00. Check out the build here:pCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / BenchmarksCPU: Intel Core i5-2400S 2.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($200.98 @ NCIX US) Motherboard: Intel DH61AG Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($148.23 @ Compuvest) Memory: G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($38.77 @ Newegg) Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.95 @ B&H) Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208BB DVD/CD Writer ($30.83 @ Newegg) Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($96.99 @ B&H) Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK260 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($25.21 @ eCost) Other: Loop LP-2150 Case/Monitor (AIO Chassis) ($267.05)Other: Intel HTS1155LP Low Profile CPU Cooler ($20.99)Total: $904.00(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-24 17:14 EDT-0400)[/citation]

how about the SSD?

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

I included it in mine because, let's be honest, what good is a computer without an operating system and what user do you know who will care enough about space usage (more than absolute performance) who will actually want to run Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.