Question Taking PC to friends place

Jan 11, 2023
Taking my computer to a friends place and a few years ago on a different PC build I bent some cpu pins while reapplying thermal paste and now I am worried I will bend my cpu pins or damage my ram or some other component by driving it in the car. To clarify I am not opening the case like I did when I bent pins a few years ago but can moving the case around can vibrations cause damage to any components or am I being paranoid?

Last edited:
Taking my computer to a friends place and a few years ago on a different PC build I bent some cpu pins while reapplying thermal paste and now I am worried I will bend my cpu pins or damage my ram or some other component by driving it in the car. To clarify I am not opening the case like I did when I bent pins a few years ago but can moving the case around can vibrations cause damage to any components or am I being paranoid?
You always want to remove the gpu it has some weight and can not always will but can rip the pcie port off the mobo

Reactions: drea.drechsler

DavidM012

Distinguished
what cooler do you have on it? A weighty 6 or 7 pipe tower cooler could also be torn off by centrifugal force so it's recommended to remove it prior to transportation.

This is of course a little bit of hassle especially since you have to torque it down but not too tight on some modern systems, in order for the cpu and system board to operate normally. It depends on what your system is. If your cooler is an AIO and the radiator is secure in a bay then you probably won't need to remove the pump block. If it was a ryzen with the relatively low profile wraith prism cooler or similar stock cooler then I wouldn't worry.

If it's a great hulking lump of metal that weighs 3lbs then take it off.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Jan 11, 2023
what cooler do you have on it? A weighty 6 or 7 pipe tower cooler could also be torn off by centrifugal force so it's recommended to remove it prior to transportation.

This is of course a little bit of hassle especially since you have to torque it down but not too tight on some modern systems, in order for the cpu and system board to operate normally. It depends on what your system is. If your cooler is an AIO and the radiator is secure in a bay then you probably won't need to remove the pump block. If it was a ryzen with the relatively low profile wraith prism cooler or similar stock cooler then I wouldn't worry.

If it's a great hulking lump of metal that weighs 3lbs then take it off.
I only have fans but if my gpu were to be damaged or the cpu pins or the ram or something the pc just wouldnt boot correct? So if I get there and everything looks like its in place still (the case is transparent) then I should be fine correct?

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
So if I get there and everything looks like its in place still (the case is transparent) then I should be fine correct?

It's always a good idea to open the case and just check everything and make sure it's all seated properly. Simply push the parts in and make sure they don't wiggle around.

Also, speaking from experience, I think it would be better if you place the PC lying down (in that, it's not standing) so there's less stress on the GPU (if you decide to not remove it, the transparent part of the case should face up). You said you have a transparent case, make sure the PC is secure and not moving all around while in transport, and be mindful of the case. One time I tried to bring a PC on a cross-country trip, the PC parts was ok but the glass shattered.

Jan 11, 2023
It's always a good idea to open the case and just check everything and make sure it's all seated properly. Simply push the parts in and make sure they don't wiggle around.

Also, speaking from experience, I think it would be better if you place the PC lying down (in that, it's not standing) so there's less stress on the GPU (if you decide to not remove it, the transparent part of the case should face up). You said you have a transparent case, make sure the PC is secure and not moving all around while in transport, and be mindful of the case. One time I tried to bring a PC on a cross-country trip, the PC parts was ok but the glass shattered.
Thanks for the transport advice but if I get to my destination and the PC boots that means the parts are all in the way and I shouldnt need to push anything to check if its in the mobo sockets correct?

DavidM012

Distinguished
Well you should find the GPU and Cooler relatively easy to reinstall if you needed to remove them due to the weight of the heat sinks the mobo is usually pretty secure being screwed down, screws can loosen due to vibration but if you transport it in a box with packaging that will absorb some of it so yeah, simply reinstall any parts that you thought advisable to remove, the gpu and cooler, and plug the fans back into the fan headers, could give the power plugs a look over to ensure they're all seated firmly, then the pc should simply post normally all being well.

The system won't have to reinstall any drivers or software, it's off when you remove the cooler and gpu, stays off in transport, off when you reinstall them so it doesn't know anything has changed it will boot as before.

I always keep my original PC case tower box and packaging for transportation, there's nothing like those polystyrene fillers to keep it from wobbling around.

Jan 11, 2023
Well you should find the GPU and Cooler relatively easy to reinstall if you needed to remove them due to the weight of the heat sinks the mobo is usually pretty secure being screwed down, screws can loosen due to vibration but if you transport it in a box with packaging that will absorb some of it so yeah, simply reinstall any parts that you thought advisable to remove, the gpu and cooler, and plug the fans back into the fan headers, could give the power plugs a look over to ensure they're all seated firmly, then the pc should simply post normally all being well.

The system won't have to reinstall any drivers or software, it's off when you remove the cooler and gpu, stays off in transport, off when you reinstall them so it doesn't know anything has changed it will boot as before.

I always keep my original PC case tower box and packaging for transportation, there's nothing like those polystyrene fillers to keep it from wobbling around.
I ended up transporting it without removing anything because im lazy and from looking at it the nothing seems to have fallen out of place and the pc boots up fine. In the task manager all my ram is still recognized and my cpu and gpu show up fine so it probably caused no harm correct?

DavidM012

Distinguished
If it booted up normally then it's fine, this time. It's just in case the cpu or gpu flies off and rattles around in the case due to a weighty heat sink. If they aren't weighty heat sinks well sometimes depending on the model of computer parts the cpu or gpu could pop out of the socket and bend pins or ding the mobo or something.

Jan 11, 2023
If it booted up normally then it's fine, this time. It's just in case the cpu or gpu flies off and rattles around in the case due to a weighty heat sink. If they aren't weighty heat sinks well sometimes depending on the model of computer parts the cpu or gpu could pop out of the socket and bend pins or ding the mobo or something.
One last question I just realized that the pins are on my mobo not my cpu so if I bump the table or anything while gaming do I need to worry about damage to my data pins? My gpu has supports so I am not worried about sag anymore.

DavidM012

Distinguished
You mean does vibration travel from an impact on the table or wobbly table legs or something travel up the rubber feet of the PC chassis and bend cpu pins? Haven't heard of it before. In ye olde days wobbles and vibrations were more likely to rek your mechanical hard drive.

Well it depends because a wobbly table might somehow translate into the mobo flexing though I think it's highly unlikely it would need to be a lot of force maybe if you dropt it or something. yeah no haven't heard of it.