Task Bar searching stopped working after new ram.

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
I am running windows 10 and as the title says I got some new ram and I can no longer search with task bar. Which I never realized how important it is till now.

I have looked around on how to fix it I have rebuilt the index done sfc/scannow i think it is and pretty much everything on this page:

Website

At first it would just not work but now it will take the first letter I type and if fast enough or mashing the first 2 letters but nothing else then just freezes and goes away.

On a side note right-clicking has slowed down too don't know if its related but thought I would add it in anyway.

No idea whats the problem Please help.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try making a local user and see if search is still messed up: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/instantanswers/5de907f1-f8ba-4fd9-a89d-efd23fee918c/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Try doing a clean boot and see if it changes anything - this would tell you if its windows or a start up program: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/929135

here are some suggestions about slow right click: https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/16091-right-click-desktop-take-long-time-show-up.html

Solution

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

Searching works with the new user.

Clean boot did nothing that I can tell.

And the slow right click somehow fixed itself .

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seems your user is corrupted somehow. If its not too much hassle, you can make the new user an admin like the old one and copy the old users user folders onto new one at c/users/username (helps to be logged into old user when you do this). I have had to change users when my last one got messed up and it doesn't take much to give it the same access to files as previous one. Just need to set up browsers, desktop wallpaper and possibly onedrive again, and Steam - but can use libraries so don't need download games.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you unplug PC when you swapped ram? The only thing I can think of as to why installing new ram into a PC can break a user is the PC was still plugged in when you changed the ram and because win 10 isn't off when you shut it down (its asleep), the swapping ram may have corrupted the user files.

Win 10 uses hybred hibernate when you shut it off. Its not powered down, its asleep. Half the open data is put into a hiberfil.sys file on your hdd, other half kept in ram. It speeds up startup since half data already in ram.

I just added this to wrong post, I should go to sleep :)

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

Damn Alright seems like it wont be to much work. Only question I have is after I make a new admin user and move everything can I delete the old user?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes but I wouldn't straight away, its handy having a backup admin account, even if its partially broken, it might come in handy if for some reason you can't log into new one. I still have my old one for that reason, since PC has messed up my user once already, I don't trust it enough to not do it again.

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

Other question I may have had the power when I changed the ram but realized after i took it out. Any chance if I put in the old original ram it would fix it or not thats just a silly idea?

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

Damn well I thought i was a good idea, ugh wish there was a way to fix this

Colif

Win 11 Master
i thought new user "fixed" it? you should have access to all the files you had before?

if you want to move your Microsoft email address onto new account, have a look at step 2 here: on how to remove it from old account and then see here to link it to the new local account

then if its admin, you could delete the old user if you want, and act like nothing happened.

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

It does but I wanna see if there was a way where I dont have to wait hours moving things around.

does it change anything if cortan won't work either I ask her to open documents or chrome and she well doesnt chrash but the window closes and nothing happenes

Colif

Win 11 Master
You shouldn't have to move anything around, the local user should have access to everything that the other user had, it should all be in the same place?

cortana doesn't work by default in a local account unless you link her to your Microsoft account, all she does is act as local search - some see that as an advantage. If you move Microsoft account to local account, then she will work as before.

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

yeah it wasnt that much work, but now whenever I want to do something it sometimes ask for the other admin user password is there anyway to change that?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I never ran into that problem. If both users are admins they should have same access to all files. If you just talking about non windows folders you could probably take ownership of the folders (I wouldn't do it on C drive) - http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-10/ - don't remove access from any windows system users

I generally have to do that after a reinstall as even though I made all the files, windows still thinks its another user.

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

ok i thought i made the user an admin but apparently i didn't :pfff:

TRENDING THREADS