[SOLVED] Task Manager not closing itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2020
The computer I'm trying to fix is having all sorts of issues. I have a feeling there are hardware issues so I'm checking out a lot of things. But I was wondering if the fact that the Task Manager not closing itself was a telltale sign of anything specific. If not, I know I got a lot of other issues to check out anyway - registry, cache, DNS, OS, memory, hard drive, CPU, the list goes on. I have a feeling this 4-year-old computer will be going to computer heaven. :(

Solution
Switch USB appears to be tied into the WIFI card, from what I can find online.

https://www.trendnet.com/support/support-detail.asp?prod=105_TEW-808UBM
this link shows "drivers" from 2020 but...

Its using a realtek chip - WI1 chip1: Realtek RTL8812BU
only driver for it was released in 2018 - https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8812bu-software

so the date of driver package doesn't actually mean a lot.

this might explain why you can't see any drivers for it, as Win 10 likely downloaded drivers from Windows update catalog or they might have been included in a version update and be marked as Microsoft drivers.

I don't see a link to that USB program anywhere?

try running auto runs and see if you...
Nov 26, 2020
"I have a feeling there are hardware issues "
Yet you're trying to fix the registry, DNS, etc, etc.

What is the actual problem?
What are the symptoms?

As above, have you started with a clean fresh OS install?
Yup. I reinstalled Windows twice. The computer is having wifi internet connection issues and it's the only one in the house with the issues. The built in adaptor was having problems and there is no new driver for it since it's 4 years old. So I bought a USB adaptor that was working well for a while. But the computer is having other issues like not letting us into the Settings area (or taking a reeeeeally long time to open), not always restarting properly (it often hangs up while restarting), blue screens, etc.

I've been looking through the Event Viewer and in the Application area I see the Application Hang. In the General Tab, it says:

The program Taskmgr.exe version 10.0.18362.693 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel. Process ID: 23f4 Start Time: 01d6c447af92e795 Termination Time: 60000 Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\Taskmgr.exe Report Id: ccce4367-3645-4c90-bb0d-35cea2609b49 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID: Hang type: Cross-thread

I'm pretty sure this error was generated from when Windows FINALLY (10+ minutes) told me that the Task Manager was unresponsive and asked if I wanted to close it, right? Not from the actually "hang" itself?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nov 26, 2020
4 years isn't old. Does the model have intel or Atheros WIFI as I see both are choices here - https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/flex-series/flex-4-1580/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Networking: Wireless LAN

did you try here after install? - https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/...flex-4-1580/downloads/automatic-driver-update

safe mode might tell you if its software problem.

Are the problems you are having now the same ones you did a reinstall to escape or different?

The adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A. I'm going to try to do the Lenovo driver scan if I can get my phone to be a hotspot but the computer isn't letting me in to the Network & Internet area at the moment.

I've just switched to Safe Mode right now but it's not letting me use the search or the Windows icon in the bottom left. So I just used the PowerShell to run a scan but it's reporting no integrity violations.

And yes it's the same problems as before the reinstall of Windows.

Nov 26, 2020
I'm starting to think it has something to do with the Atheros qca61x4a adapter. I'm using a plain admin account and for some reason, when it's enabled the computer is a mess. I can't do basic things like get to the Settings, close the Task Manager, nor get to the internet (it works for about a minute but then it drops the connection and says it can't find any networks). But when I disable it, the computer seems to run smoothly except that I obviously can't get to the internet.

I'm going to check this a bunch more times. I don't know why a network adaptor would be screwing up the operating system. I can't think of any reason they would conflict.

Nov 26, 2020
It's gotta be the Atheros adapter. I've uninstalled it and now the computer runs fine. But now my internet is spotty. I think it has to do with the USB adapter I'm using (TRENDnet TEW-808UBM AC 1200) and how it works with IP addresses (maybe it needs specific settings or not to be dynamic/static - I'm trying to figure out what it wants). Every fix I use seems to work for a little while and then stops. I can always kick it back into gear but it seems like there should be something that settles it once and for all.

I even tried giving it a specific DNS but that only worked for a little while which makes me think it didn't work at all. I just keep getting errors saying that things like "Wi-Fi doesn't have valid IP configuration". Sometimes Windows can fix it by resetting the adapter and other times it can't

In IPv4, I set the Preferred DNS to 1.1.1.1 with the Alternate to 1.0.0.1 but that's didn't improve anything.

UPDATE: Somehow, there are no drivers installed for the device which makes no sense since it was working and it's been working on and off. Can an adapter work without drivers? And I'm 99% sure I installed them when I was hardwired in another area of the house. Ugh.

UPDATE: Okay, now I'm thinking ports? I inserted a USB flash drive with the drivers into the troubled computer but the computer wouldn't recognize it. So I removed the mouse's USB dongle and tried the flash drive in that port but it didn't work. NOW the dongle won't work either. Wouldn't that align with the fact that sometimes Windows can fix the "valid IP config" thing by resetting the adapter and other times it can't? Maybe when the port is acting up, Windows can't communicate with the USB dongle for the adapter? Therefore, it can't reset it?

And for frigs sake, I'm restarting the computer to see if the USB will work again. In doing so, I got the BSoD. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh! Why God?! Why????!!!! It did eventually restart on it's own. :/

And the ports are working again. Yeah.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020
So now in doing another restart, I got a notice that a program called "Switch USB" (which I've never heard of) was preventing my computer from shutting down. The Switch USB icon is super small an hard to see and I can't find the program on my computer so it's hard to identify, but I'm including a pic from my mobile phone.

Switch USB Shutdown Issue
Switch USB Logo

(I was trying to insert the actual images but I couldn't figure out how to do that with Google Drive. Is that not possible?)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Switch USB appears to be tied into the WIFI card, from what I can find online.

https://www.trendnet.com/support/support-detail.asp?prod=105_TEW-808UBM
this link shows "drivers" from 2020 but...

Its using a realtek chip - WI1 chip1: Realtek RTL8812BU
only driver for it was released in 2018 - https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8812bu-software

so the date of driver package doesn't actually mean a lot.

this might explain why you can't see any drivers for it, as Win 10 likely downloaded drivers from Windows update catalog or they might have been included in a version update and be marked as Microsoft drivers.

I don't see a link to that USB program anywhere?

try running auto runs and see if you can find that program in here, and stop it from auto running with windows at startup - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
If a program needs that file it can start it, this just stops it loading with windows.

Solution

Galadhlinn

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
I know this is a solved thread, but thought I'd add another experience. I just started having the same problem. I couldn't restart or shut down my computer. At first it seemed to be hanging on task master, but after a couple of tries I was able to get TM to close. Then the pc began the shut down (monitor went black after showing the "windows shutting down." But the pc (motherboard, video card, power supply kept running. After giving it a couple of minutes, I did a cold shut down. The pc rebooted fine so far. In looking at the logs Switch USB 2.0 seemed to be the source. Since I've never had anything like this happen, I searched Switch USB 2.0 and landed here. Yesterday I installed a new TP-Link AC1900 (Archer T9UH) wifi adapter. It wasn't working (connecting) so I contacted TP-Link through their chat support. They suggested going into Device manager and uninstalling Realtek Networking and selecting Delete drivers and then rebooting my pc letting Windows reinstall the drivers. I did and the TP-Link started working fine for awhile. Then my internet stopped working, and after doing usually checks, I tried to reboot the computer, and couldn't After cold shut down and rebooting, everything is working atm, but thinking there may be some conflict with TP-link adapter and Realtek Networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS