Question Task Manager (Not Responding) Steam (Not Responding) then Pc Freezes and I have to force a shutdown

Apr 27, 2021
I have tried countless things, Detecting for corrupted windows files that didn't work, I have tried the DCIM thing too that didn't work, I've updated drivers and cleared caches and temp files all with the hope of fixing this even booted the PC up without any externals plugged in (keyboard, Mouse and Headphones) , Today I even did a soft reset on windows (Kept some of my files as I didn't want to lose them and don't have a USB to back them up) This has been happening for a week or so now. I cant for the life of me figure this out. It surely has to be something windows related.

It usually starts with Steam Not Responding and then it goes white and I cant close it so then I get task manager up and then Task Manager starts not responding with the message 'Windows is not responding' something along those lines, after that my desktop goes completely black and I cant access anything, forcing me to manually turn my PC off. If anyone has a solution I would greatly appreciate your input

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I have tried countless things, Detecting for corrupted windows files that didn't work, I have tried the DCIM thing too that didn't work, I've updated drivers and cleared caches and temp files all with the hope of fixing this even booted the PC up without any externals plugged in (keyboard, Mouse and Headphones) , Today I even did a soft reset on windows (Kept some of my files as I didn't want to lose them and don't have a USB to back them up) This has been happening for a week or so now. I cant for the life of me figure this out. It surely has to be something windows related.

It usually starts with Steam Not Responding and then it goes white and I cant close it so then I get task manager up and then Task Manager starts not responding with the message 'Windows is not responding' something along those lines, after that my desktop goes completely black and I cant access anything, forcing me to manually turn my PC off. If anyone has a solution I would greatly appreciate your input
What are your specs? Did you install something prior to this happening? Is your BIOS up-to-date? How about other drivers for your system?

Apr 27, 2021
What are your specs? Did you install something prior to this happening? Is your BIOS up-to-date? How about other drivers for your system?
I7-4790k 4.00 GHz
24GB Ram (Did have 32 But one of the sticks went bad
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

And I don't recollect downloading anything prior to this happening

I dont know how to update my BIOS and I dont really want to mess with my BIOS incase I mess the whole thing up

Also I cant find the drivers for my motherboard its a H97 Killer

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021
Since it started happening about a week ago, it probably isn’t actually the BIOS. How did you do a “soft reset of Windows?”
I went to settings, Recovery, ''Reset this PC'' but clicked the option to keep valuable files. at first I thought maybe it was an old file causing this but the issue has happened again after resetting the PC. Now I only have a few files on my PC which are harmless