[SOLVED] Task scheduler "cannot apply your changes."

cormanaz

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I am trying to set up a windows scheduler task to run a Perl script at night, which requires wake-up. I run task scheduler as administrator. I've set the task to run whether I'm logged in or not. When I try to save with what I think is the correct admin password it says it cannot apply my changes because "the user account is unknown, the password is incorrect, or the user account does not have permissions to modify the task."

I'm sure the account isn't unknown; it's the only one on the machine and it has admin privileges. The password could be incorrect because I've not used the admin password since windows switched to the PIN code to log in.

So two questions. First, how can I test this password in another app to eliminate the possibility that I have the wrong one? Second, I looked at just resetting the password but windows gave me this dire-sounding warning that I could lose data if I do that. Is this really something to worry about?

Solution
So two questions. First, how can I test this password in another app to eliminate the possibility that I have the wrong one?
Turn off pin requirement, remove pin and try to log in with password.
Pin requirement must be turned off first. If you remove pin and requirement is still active, then you can't log into pc anymore. Not sure, if windows will even allow removal then.
Second, I looked at just resetting the password but windows gave me this dire-sounding warning that I could lose data if I do that. Is this really something to worry about?
You will loose data only, if you have encrypted user files. If you haven't used ntfs file encryption, then this doesn't apply.
So two questions. First, how can I test this password in another app to eliminate the possibility that I have the wrong one?
Turn off pin requirement, remove pin and try to log in with password.
Pin requirement must be turned off first. If you remove pin and requirement is still active, then you can't log into pc anymore. Not sure, if windows will even allow removal then.
Second, I looked at just resetting the password but windows gave me this dire-sounding warning that I could lose data if I do that. Is this really something to worry about?
You will loose data only, if you have encrypted user files. If you haven't used ntfs file encryption, then this doesn't apply.

Last edited:
Solution