Question Taskbar appeared while watching a video

Szeska837

Commendable
Apr 20, 2021
Hi,
I was watching an video online and suddenly the taskbar appeared at the bottom, while the video remained at full screen. It was like something sent me a notification, but I saw no notifications.
Also, while I might be wrong, it looked like the Chrome icon had a green overlay, like when it's downloading something (I quickly restarted the laptop, that's why I'm not 100% sure about the green overlay)), but I found nothing downloaded and no extensions were added. Checked the laptop with Malwarebytes (regular scan with rootkits enabled), nothing was found and my main antivirus showed nothing unusual (real-time protection was enabled).
Any idea what it could be? Maybe just a bug?

Lutfij

Titan
I'm assuming you're working with Windows 10. Could've been an update or a notification from the OS that an update was pending. I had something similar that came up after 5 mins of me booting into GUI.

You might want to see if you have any remote accessing app's on your laptop. Some people tend to have them without them knowing about it(and fall victim to shady people).

Szeska837

Commendable
Apr 20, 2021
Yes, I use Windows 10 and I see/saw no Windows Update notifications or anything like that (no notifications at all).
I don't use any remote desktop apps at home.

Szeska837

Commendable
Apr 20, 2021
When the taskbar appears what icon(s) are active?
The Chrome icon for sure and maybe a second icon, not sure about that. It only happened once and I restarted the laptop a minute after it happened.

If you can work out what key or key combinations result in the same taskbar behavior then that knowledge may help determine the cause.
Pressing the Windows key twice makes the taskbar appear the same way (first press brings up the Start menu, second press leaves the taskbar at the bottom), although I don't remember pressing any button or the Start menu appearing.
Checked the Event Viewer, but not sure what to look out for.

Ralston18

Titan
Event Viewer and/or Reliability History.

Look for some error code, warning, or even an informational event that precedes or corresponds with the appearance of the Taskbar.

Pressing my Windows key once changes the Desktop to tiles. A second press goes back to the original screen.

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

If the problem continues then reinstall Chrome.

Szeska837

Commendable
Apr 20, 2021
Pressing my Windows key once changes the Desktop to tiles. A second press goes back to the original screen.
Try it while watching a video on full screen.

Tried sfc earlier, nothing was found. Will run dism, Event Viewer and Reliability History later.

I'm mainly concerned about unauthorized access, although my paid antivirus usually works well.

Szeska837

Commendable
Apr 20, 2021
So the same thing happened today on my other laptop and the culprit was a notification from Avast (not using Avast on the laptop, which was originally affected, but 3 others).
Maybe the original was from one of those 3 antivirus programs (1 paid with real-time protection and 2 second-hand scanners).

Ralston18

Titan
"Maybe the original was from one of those 3 antivirus programs (1 paid with real-time protection and 2 second-hand scanners). "

Not certain about the meaning of "2 second hand scanners" .

In any case, running multiple AV/malware apps on any pc or laptop can be problematic.

Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may have captured some error code, warning, or informational event that may precede or correspond with the Taskbar's appearance and/or any other strange happenings such as with Chrome.

Hopefully if the laptop(s) are all configured to simply use only Windows Defender then the problems will end.

No harm in having something like Malwarebytes available as a backup. Just do not have it or other AV applications constantly running in the background.

Ralston18

Titan
What would or could prove meaningful is some update that precedes some string of errors, warnings, etc.. Or some problem not necessarily captured.

That said, if there are no on-going problems all should be well.

Windows Defender will do a good job of protecting your system.

Set up user passwords for all accounts using your computer. Likewise for your network.

Also use strong passwords and Two Factor Authorization for online accounts and so forth.

And, as always, you can help by being careful about the websites you visit and the links you click.