Taskbar doesn't work(again)

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I've tried this command line on the PowerShell as an admin and it only worked the first time:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

This solution worked the first time, then I went back to my Windows 7 partition and now I'm back to 10 and after a while the taskbar doesn't work again. I've already tried this solution again but it didn't work this time.

What else could it be?

PS: The icons on it work fine, apart from the ones from the Win10 apps like the Store. Also, right clicking on the icons doesn't work. Luckily right-clicking on the start icon brings up the options list but the rest doesn't work, like the Start menu and the Notifications bar.

Solution
Try this solution I found here http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/370981-start-menu-taskbar-not-working-windows-10-a.html
1. Go to the desktop, right click anywhere, hover your mouse over new and then click shortcut
2. When you are making a shortcut it will ask you to type a location. type in "msconfig", click next and then it will ask you what you want to name the shortcut name it anything you want its not imprtant.
3 . A shortcut for msconfig will show up double click it and click on the boot tab at the top. once in the boot tab enable safeboot and the click network underneath it and then click apply then OK it will ask if you want to restart you should restart it
4. Once it is restarted you should go to ms config again and...

Jasjar

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
Try this solution I found here http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/370981-start-menu-taskbar-not-working-windows-10-a.html
1. Go to the desktop, right click anywhere, hover your mouse over new and then click shortcut
2. When you are making a shortcut it will ask you to type a location. type in "msconfig", click next and then it will ask you what you want to name the shortcut name it anything you want its not imprtant.
3 . A shortcut for msconfig will show up double click it and click on the boot tab at the top. once in the boot tab enable safeboot and the click network underneath it and then click apply then OK it will ask if you want to restart you should restart it
4. Once it is restarted you should go to ms config again and then turn off safe boot and the apply and restart again and hopefully once you have done that things should return to normal
There are different solutions on the webpage. Can you see now why people hate windows 10?

Solution

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

It worked! I had to reboot a couple of times instead of once but it worked, except for one detail: the start menu doesn't have that part on the right with the tiles, just the left part. Other than that it's all good.

As for hating Win10 for things like this, I know all this will be a thing of the past in a couple of years and 10 will be as stable as Windows 7. It's only natural with all the feedback MS are getting.