Tb3 and Usb C 3.2 data transfer speed? External

dovedescent7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I just purchased a Asus gl702vs from best buy for 1149$ open box
Installed a Samsung 512gb 950 pro nvme ssd boot drive and I've been looking into external storage options.

The laptop has a USB C 3.1 Gen 2 40gbs 4 pcie lane connector that id like to get the most out of.

I'd like to buy the equipment to have the fastest external transfer speeds possible for moving 500gb of video data.

Could someone tell me the real world data transfer speed I could expect when transfering data from my 950 pro internal to an external 950 pro connected via Usb C 3.1 Gen 2?

Or is this not a thing?

Solution
I know it's a 40gbps port. I was just correcting all the mislabeling. There will be others who read this and then get confused which spec they have as you mentioned 3 different specs. It's tb3 and no other names or speeds need to be mentioned.

Real world is a mixed bag. I've seen from 700-1400 MBps.
It is a tb3 port, and although it can do usb 3.1 g2, that is a slower spec 10 gbps. 40 gbps is tb3. Usb 3.2 isn't out yet. You want to make sure to get tb3 to get the max speed. This is more than the max of the 950 pro so its limit will be the limit. Specs show up to 1.5 GB/s writes.

I know it's a 40gbps port. I was just correcting all the mislabeling. There will be others who read this and then get confused which spec they have as you mentioned 3 different specs. It's tb3 and no other names or speeds need to be mentioned.

Real world is a mixed bag. I've seen from 700-1400 MBps.

Solution