Question TCL TV - Horizontal scanlines and flicker

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Last night my screen started to flicker... it will dim a little, horizontal lines appear and shift downwards then normal, and repeats every 2sec.

I unplugged the TV, held the power for 15sec, and left it unplugged overnight but same issue.

Not an HDMI cable issue, it only has the one plugged in and unplugged and at the ROKU main screen the issue still persists.

It's a TCL 55R615 55" TV.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is to remove the back and clean connectors.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
open it up (before doing so, be sure that power is disconnected and power button pressed for about 30seconds, don´t touch other components than the flex cables), disconnect and reconnect all flex cables from the t-con and power board

might be the panel
View: https://youtu.be/hT4rUkN7Xn0?t=385

if out of warranty, get a new TV
I posted on REDDIT on the TV Repair sub, 18.7k members and 1 response.. a bit disappointing.

He also said time for a new TV, and that cleaning the cables/connectors would be a waste of time.

I think tomorrow I'll pop the back open and give it a try. Just over 5yrs old now, had hoped it would have lasted longer. Though will say, it's been a great TV otherwise. However, this year has been a bit odd... not sure if coincidence or is the TV is doing something... the HDMI port on my android box went in January, then less than a month later the HDMI on my soundbar went... kinda wondered if maybe the TV did it, like some kind of electrical feedback or something. Now this. Basically my entire setup died in the past half a year.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I am rural... not as bad as it use to be here but we do have power outtages way more than when I was in the city and thought may be the culprit. Snow storms or lightning, or just everyone with AC blasting, and power trips... usually 1-2 seconds but enough to shut the PC off and reset clocks. Had a UPS on my PC for a few years but batteries on those cost quite a bit. I have good power bars but they don't stop the power shutting off.