Review Teamgroup Cardea Z540 SSD Review: The Fastest SSD Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish benches would include Intel Optane for comparison. Im guessing in low q depth, the 905p is faster (sure its old and not manufactured anymore, but they are still for sale), not to mention the new 5800x Optane. Yeah the new Optane aint cheap, but it is still the fastest in the market overall and will last pretty much indefinitely in the desktop environment.

Albert.Thomas

Prominent
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
Is there a difference between the Z540 and Z540 Cardea? If they're the same, I definitely noticed the advantages in writing and such - but it was slower than some PCI-e 4 drives I've tested in loading times.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Awesome performance, main concern is idle... 2.75W!
wTedoArs2T7Z3m98JZYLhV-970-80.png.webp

Max power draw new high score at 12.64W, but much better efficiency than other PCIe gen 5 drives, but I don't see a reason to go to gen 5, I would wait for better, more efficient controllers. This drive would only be a good companion in a desktop/thin client.

I am not in the market for gen 5 drives as my platform only has pcie gen 4 m.2 (only my x16 pcie slot is gen 5), I likely won't have a gen 5 m.2 till arrow lake release. I use a 960GB optane 905p that I got from the discount bin on ebay (Paid sub $300), outside of that I use cheap 2-4tb TLC to QLC drives. The market is saturated with good enough gen 3/4 drives, would be glad to see a study or review demonstrating any real world benefits between ssds, I would guess we are well into diminished returns after the jump from SATA to NVME pcie gen 3.

Last edited:

purpleduggy

Proper
Apr 19, 2023
Buy it now, before TeamGroup changes all the parts and sells a way worse drive under the same name.
any manufacturer that does this I stop supporting. they should change the name when substituting parts or expect me to stop supporting them. kingston tried this with nv2 drives, so I stopped buying them. i benchmark every drive to see if it hits model speeds, and if not I return it. you should do the same. crystaldiskmark is your friend. return drives that perform substandard.

Status
Not open for further replies.