News TeamGroup's LPDDR5X CAMM2 memory modules become the third consumer option for the new space-saving RAM standard — also tosses Expert AI branding in...

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I'm not sure I follow the benefits, specifically for a desktop. I get they are space saving, but most desktops don't have that issue since the CPU usually needs a large cooler.
The 1.3 times more bandwidth at JEDEC speeds, does that mean 7200 DDR5 XMP vs their 7200 LPDDR5X? That would make quite a difference.

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I'm not sure I follow the benefits, specifically for a desktop. I get they are space saving, but most desktops don't have that issue since the CPU usually needs a large cooler.
The 1.3 times more bandwidth at JEDEC speeds, does that mean 7200 DDR5 XMP vs their 7200 LPDDR5X? That would make quite a difference.
'regular' memory can block some air coolers. These lay flat, so as long as the mobo has the real estate for that, that's one advantage.

I'd think flat would be easier to apply heat sinks to as well (to the point of conflicting with the air cooler anyway)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, stock speed. They are talking speeds up to 8533. So there is potential for there to be DDR5 10,000 or something with XMP once this gets rolling. Of course that is likely to be on the tail end of DDR5 production.

karserasl

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Well, you have to look further ahead.
You keep thinking in todays MBs layout.
These can be used on the back of the motherboard for example.