Tech Giants Support 'Red Alert For Net Neutrality' Movement

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't forget.... TMobile and Sprint are merging... If you had issues with Sprint.... ouch.... you only have what left? ATT? The smaller prepaids? The prepaids the major carriers run under a different name?

THIS merger means less competition in the end. It means more control for ATT and Verizon in addition to Sprint.

So you're saying these ISPs can just up the prices when they feel like it for those who use too much bandwidth, and save money by not upgrading their systems to handle more bandwidth? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. I'd rather they get real and improve their bandwidth... than just look shortsightedly at their bottom line.

It a problem that can be alleviated by upgrading the network for handling higher bandwidth. Except, Comcast, et al, don't want to spend the money right now. It's easier to moan and groan, cry and complain, that certain services are eating up all their bandwidth during prime use hours.

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014

Blockbuster died because it couldn't get its own VOD service working and because they partnered with Enron to do it then lost out when they realized Enron was shady. Netflix was still the small fry back then and Blockbuster had a perfect opportunity to crush them while Netflix still worked mainly via snail mail. And Netflix may have delivered the killing blow to the mom and pop stores but Blockbuster was already did most of the work by that point and the slow death of physical media was going to do that anyway with or without Netflix unfortunately.

araczynski

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
I live in a market where the only competition (if you can call it that) exists in the low speed segment of the market. Anything above that is controlled by one (cable) provider. You can get slow to super fast, but no matter how much you pay or how fast your service is, you're still limited to 1TB/month, unless you feel like paying extra (+$50/month for unlimited, or +$30/month for 500GB) for the extra bandwidth.

Funny how typically the biggest usage of bandwidth is streaming (netflix/prime/hulu/whatever) and guess who most of the cable companies are losing their customers to? This is only accelerating as streaming quality is going up, 1080p/4k... the cable company is sitting there laughing at the customers strangling themselves.

They don't have to control who is allowed on their lines, all they have to do is wait and laugh all the way to the bank and get their extra fees, they don't care if the fees are coming from the providers or the consumers.

Nothing will change as long as the current "business first all the time" and "trickle down economics is good for everyone" bullshit is in charge.

May 3, 2018
"The net neutrality regulations were made in direct response to abusive actions by Comcast and other major cable companies. There is no "may" here. Prior to 2015 there were many regulatory rulings, but ISPs routinely skirted around them. You should read up on the history of the issue https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_in_the_United_States#Regulatory_historY"

Really? A Wikipedia write up is your evidence that NN was necessary? I guarantee not one person here can fin a widespread example of an ISP actually doing something NN was sold to the public as being able to prevent, It was a massive government power grab that crushed competition. The article posted above by dhayric is 100% accurate and it was Tom's that wrote it.

May 5, 2018
Massive government regulation, like NN, always has unintended consequences such is slowing innovation. If the regulations are based on sound arguments for the intrusion into the markets, most people will support them in spite of the downsides. When massive regulation is based on scenarios that might happen in the future, it makes me wonder what was really behind this push during the Obama administration. Since the large companies are pushing for NN, my conclusion is that NN is really about limiting competition.

May 3, 2018

Really? A Wikipedia write up is your evidence that NN was necessary? I guarantee not one person here can find a widespread example of an ISP actually doing something NN was sold to the public as being able to prevent. It was a massive government power grab that crushed competition. The article I posted is 100% accurate and it was Tom's that wrote it.

May 3, 2018

Amen but the big government loving left doesn't think that way. They always think more laws is the solution and never think outside of the box as to the long term repercussions.

Sometimes I think they know, and their endgame is the repercussions, so they design for it under the guise of something else.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/08/small-isps-turn-to-malicious-dns-servers-to-make-extra-cash/

The article says small ISP's but their client list also included larger companies like Frontier...and Cogent.

Status
Not open for further replies.