Tech: Robotron input issues

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Help!

Ok, I've my first williams game almost fully back to life (I had to rebuild
just about everything in the monitor, including the damn vertical size pot
which was reading about 4 orders of magnitude more then it should be!). I
replaced the 4116's, and rewired the power to a switcher (someone else had
tried doing this but ended up doing it wrong... they ended up smoking the
switcher they used. I've a new switcher installed and redid the wiring job
and everything now comes up correctly.

It now shows 0 on the led... It does the rug tests, comes up with "Initial
tests go" message, and then stops at a second screen which shows "High score
table reset", "Bookkeeping data cleared", and "Factory defaults restored".
I can't get it to go any further... it doesn't seem to respond to advance (I
checked... the switch is still good, so is the coin door switch).

Any ideas where to look at next?

Thanks,

steve
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

some additional info... if I hit the "reset?" switch on the upper left of
the cpu board it will then do a re-test and enter attract mode, so I assume
atleast a goodly portion of stuff is running. However, I still am unable to
coinup and play, and if I power cycle the machine it goes back to the
previous state (the "factory defaults restored" screen).

of some note, however... after hitting the reset switch and it entering
attract mode, the high scores are displayed (not all 4K's, but will real
names, etc. in them)... this even though the screen displays "high score
table reset".

any ideas?

thanks,

steve

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:Wwd8e.18065$nH4.7979@trndny05...
> Help!
>
> Ok, I've my first williams game almost fully back to life (I had to
> rebuild just about everything in the monitor, including the damn vertical
> size pot which was reading about 4 orders of magnitude more then it should
> be!). I replaced the 4116's, and rewired the power to a switcher (someone
> else had tried doing this but ended up doing it wrong... they ended up
> smoking the switcher they used. I've a new switcher installed and redid
> the wiring job and everything now comes up correctly.
>
> It now shows 0 on the led... It does the rug tests, comes up with "Initial
> tests go" message, and then stops at a second screen which shows "High
> score table reset", "Bookkeeping data cleared", and "Factory defaults
> restored". I can't get it to go any further... it doesn't seem to respond
> to advance (I checked... the switch is still good, so is the coin door
> switch).
>
> Any ideas where to look at next?
>
> Thanks,
>
> steve
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

OK, here's where your problem may lie...

When you added in the switching power supply did you leave the factory
supply in place? If so you need to attach one of the ground terminals on the
new supply to at least one of the ground points on the old supply. What you
have is the following.

1. Your boards are grounded to the switching supply which is why they are up
and running.

2. Your coin door is grounded to the factory supply and is NOT connected to
the boards correctly and that is why nothing is working. If the factory
supply was removed then look for a 5 or 6 pin Molex with green and yellow
and a few other wires going to it. That's the coin door harness. It supplies
ground for the door switches and voltage to the coin door lamps.

Give that a look at and let us know how it goes.

Matt

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:5je8e.23795$1p4.782@trndny06...
> some additional info... if I hit the "reset?" switch on the upper left of
> the cpu board it will then do a re-test and enter attract mode, so I
> assume atleast a goodly portion of stuff is running. However, I still am
> unable to coinup and play, and if I power cycle the machine it goes back
> to the previous state (the "factory defaults restored" screen).
>
> of some note, however... after hitting the reset switch and it entering
> attract mode, the high scores are displayed (not all 4K's, but will real
> names, etc. in them)... this even though the screen displays "high score
> table reset".
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
>
> steve
>
> "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:Wwd8e.18065$nH4.7979@trndny05...
>> Help!
>>
>> Ok, I've my first williams game almost fully back to life (I had to
>> rebuild just about everything in the monitor, including the damn vertical
>> size pot which was reading about 4 orders of magnitude more then it
>> should be!). I replaced the 4116's, and rewired the power to a switcher
>> (someone else had tried doing this but ended up doing it wrong... they
>> ended up smoking the switcher they used. I've a new switcher installed
>> and redid the wiring job and everything now comes up correctly.
>>
>> It now shows 0 on the led... It does the rug tests, comes up with
>> "Initial tests go" message, and then stops at a second screen which shows
>> "High score table reset", "Bookkeeping data cleared", and "Factory
>> defaults restored". I can't get it to go any further... it doesn't seem
>> to respond to advance (I checked... the switch is still good, so is the
>> coin door switch).
>>
>> Any ideas where to look at next?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> steve
>>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I had the same problem with a Joust that I put a switcher in, I removed
the Black & Orange wire from the smaller plug on the power supply (that
feeds the coin door) and connected it to the Ground terminal on the
switcher, all is well now.
 

Andre

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
315
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

This may help:
http://www.arcadesolution.com/ground.html



"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:Wwd8e.18065$nH4.7979@trndny05...
> Help!
>
> Ok, I've my first williams game almost fully back to life (I had to
> rebuild just about everything in the monitor, including the damn vertical
> size pot which was reading about 4 orders of magnitude more then it should
> be!). I replaced the 4116's, and rewired the power to a switcher (someone
> else had tried doing this but ended up doing it wrong... they ended up
> smoking the switcher they used. I've a new switcher installed and redid
> the wiring job and everything now comes up correctly.
>
> It now shows 0 on the led... It does the rug tests, comes up with "Initial
> tests go" message, and then stops at a second screen which shows "High
> score table reset", "Bookkeeping data cleared", and "Factory defaults
> restored". I can't get it to go any further... it doesn't seem to respond
> to advance (I checked... the switch is still good, so is the coin door
> switch).
>
> Any ideas where to look at next?
>
> Thanks,
>
> steve
>
 

Andre

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
315
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

This may help:
http://www.arcadesolution.com/ground.html



"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:Wwd8e.18065$nH4.7979@trndny05...
> Help!
>
> Ok, I've my first williams game almost fully back to life (I had to
> rebuild just about everything in the monitor, including the damn vertical
> size pot which was reading about 4 orders of magnitude more then it should
> be!). I replaced the 4116's, and rewired the power to a switcher (someone
> else had tried doing this but ended up doing it wrong... they ended up
> smoking the switcher they used. I've a new switcher installed and redid
> the wiring job and everything now comes up correctly.
>
> It now shows 0 on the led... It does the rug tests, comes up with "Initial
> tests go" message, and then stops at a second screen which shows "High
> score table reset", "Bookkeeping data cleared", and "Factory defaults
> restored". I can't get it to go any further... it doesn't seem to respond
> to advance (I checked... the switch is still good, so is the coin door
> switch).
>
> Any ideas where to look at next?
>
> Thanks,
>
> steve
>
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS