TECH: Stern SB-157 Sound OS flash upgrade

So has anyone successfully done Stern's service bulletin 157 for
upgrading the sound OS? This is on a 4th run LOTR.

It involves: Replacing U7 and changing three jumpers, turning on the
machine, allowing the flash to take place, then turning off the machine,
returning the jumpers to where they were, and replacing U7 with the
original 512K chip.

When I started this process, LED1 blinked 6 times... during the upgrade
(and tried with 2 different burns of the U7 EPROM on the site) LED1
flashes in differing patterns for a couple minutes before it settles on
a constant blink. After turning off the machine, returning the jumpers
to their original positions and replacing U7, I still get 6 blinks. The
music works fine, but now all the voice is loud unintelligible staticy
stuff. Seems like the flash isn't taking correctly.

Anyone have any ideas?

My original reason for trying this is that a few of the sound samples
coming out of my LOTR have always sounded like hiccuping squirrels.
(Yes, I know how they sound :))

Thanks for any help!
Matt

A little more information on this:

The sound diagnostics work fine for both music and voice.

The in-game voices all sound as described below, as well as attract
sounds on flipper buttons. (Very weird!)

Matt Young wrote:
> So has anyone successfully done Stern's service bulletin 157 for
> upgrading the sound OS? This is on a 4th run LOTR.
>
> It involves: Replacing U7 and changing three jumpers, turning on the
> machine, allowing the flash to take place, then turning off the machine,
> returning the jumpers to where they were, and replacing U7 with the
> original 512K chip.
>
> When I started this process, LED1 blinked 6 times... during the upgrade
> (and tried with 2 different burns of the U7 EPROM on the site) LED1
> flashes in differing patterns for a couple minutes before it settles on
> a constant blink. After turning off the machine, returning the jumpers
> to their original positions and replacing U7, I still get 6 blinks. The
> music works fine, but now all the voice is loud unintelligible staticy
> stuff. Seems like the flash isn't taking correctly.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> My original reason for trying this is that a few of the sound samples
> coming out of my LOTR have always sounded like hiccuping squirrels.
> (Yes, I know how they sound :))
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Matt

TRENDING THREADS