Question (Tech support request) Weird system freezes when doing anything.

jobo789

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Within the last few weeks i've been having strange behaviour on my PC. Atleast a couple of times i've been just watching YT, browsing basic websites or playing undemanding games and then go to do something else only to discover all GUI is unresponsive, or the game application will freeze and all audio will cease. Managing to get into task manager reveals GPU 3D usage at 100% whilst video encode and decode display "-1%" usage, whatever that means. Windows GUI elements will remain (right-click menus) after they are meant to disappear and all GUI takes a long time to load when this happens.

Then my only course of action available is to manually shutdown/restart my PC because Windows 10 completely tanks to a stall.

GPU drivers were clean installed with DDU and CPU chipset drivers are freshly installed since this happened, no change. Windows 10 is updated to April. I did a 4-hour long MemTest which revealed 0 errors. I have had this computer in it's current configuration for 2 years and this has only recently started happening, with no significant software changes or installs.

What the hell could be causing this behaviour? It's driving me insane.

PC Deets:
Windows 10 build 19045
AMD 5800X, PBO enabled.
RTX 2060 Super
4 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz RAM
Lots of various drives.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age including the make and model of your motherboard. BIOS version for your motherboard?

Lots of various drives.
You should elaborate on this.

4 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz RAM
Are they the same ram kit with the same PCB revisions on them?