Question Technical question: RAM vs vRAM during 3d object creation

peaceduke

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Hi ! Qustion is technical to understand what is the connections between RAM and vRAM while creating 3d object in any software , 3d max for example .

object in general consists from points that creating poligons , let's talk about most simple polygon which is Triangle

• 3 points = x,y,z position for each point = 9 float numbers for one Triangle.
  • 1 000 000 (Tri) poly object = 9*1m = 9m float numbers. // while creating that 1m poly object it creates that 9 million float numbers in RAM right ?
But does it also creates those numbers in vRAM in parallel ? (to draw it on screen)

every object that is created in 3d viewport are created in RAM and vRAM in same time? or not ? // in RAM to hold position of points //in vRAM to draw a shell over those points.
is that above statement question wrong correct , it's complicated to even formulate that question ...
when vRAM is not enough and full it's just slowing fps because it cant handle 9m floats in vRAM and ... and I'm lost here

In other words can anyone please clear this a little bit for me ...

peaceduke

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
yes , but what happens when vRAM is full and I'm keeping creating new poligons
I have old GPU which is 1gig of vRAM and I'm experimenting with it

logically , 1gig of vRAM which 50% is already taken by OS so I have only 500mb left
lets say more than 10 million polys not going to fit into vRAM , but I'm creating more than 50m polys , with 4fps max but GPU is still able to draw 50m poligons , why it's not crashing in that case ?

In other words , how GPU can draw more than its vRAM can handle ?