Temp Controlled Leds

twisted46

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Hello all,

It is finally time for a totally new build that I will outline when I have it put together and running along with my steam/media machine and sever build that will happen this winter break. So anyways while selecting parts for my build I completely by accident had a pretty surprising trend going on in my shopping cart. I had selected all red and black components(mobo, ram, and gpu) and a white DIYPC case. I think this is going to be an awesome color contrast/combo and I really want to accent it with some lighting as well. The case comes with blue led fans which will be going because I am tired of the over powering blue form my current setup, and more importantly I don't always want a flood of light coming from the case when I am doing school work and general interwebs stuff. I know I am going to run a small number of UV leds from the top of the case facing down that will be on a switch, but I want to do something a little more involved for these leds.

So here is what I would really like to do. Run a strip of red leds along the bottom or rear of my case that will be automatically triggered by a temperature change of preferably the GPU(maybe CPU.) I am hoping there is a way to control a switch from one of the mobo fan hubs so that I could just use speedfan or something to say at X temp turn on. The idea would be to flip a switch that would splice into a molex power line. What would be even cooler(haha?) would be to have the leds sort of ramp up IE 40C=25% 45C 55C=50% and so on. Now I know of a couple of people using CPU usage to change colors but CPU spikes would be pretty annoying and I dont want the lights on when I am using CAD or something. I saw a post on how to do this with an arduino which would be cool but Id rather not have to use a second system that would need to be hidden away.

So basically the point here is that since I am building a system with the best parts of the MSI gaining series, I think it would be awesome to have the case glow red whilst gaming. That may sound stupid to most of you and that is okay. Most would say just get an led usb controller and turn it on and off, but where is the fun and uniqueness in that? Still let me know if I am talking absolute nonsense here. I have two PCs that I can do testing on so that I do not destroy a new board.

Sorry for the long post

UntouchedForce

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
I did something similar with my subwoofers in my car once. I had LEDs connected to pulse to the music. Totally cool idea. I just don't see how you would connect this to gpu fan speed. Speedfan is junk btw. Find something else. You may be able to wire on the card board and see if you can steal from the fan power outlet but my guess is it won't have enough power. Sounds like a pretty sophisticated setup to me.

twisted46

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Thanks for the link, brief overview looks pretty awesome, but I will have to give it an in depth look over later on after this freakin Stat 4710 exam. I work at a PC solutions and Small Business IT firm so maybe I can see if they will get one in for the store and let me test it out on one of show rigs. If it does do what I am wanting it to that would be amazing but part of me still wants that satisfaction of an operational system I build my self. I once built a simple board that fired 6 leds in sequence and while it looked very DIYed it was pretty awesome to say that it was my own doing. Also just for some oh hey look at me leds that normally only I will be appreciating $60 is kind of wasteful. I mean sure the PC builder logic of "what is $60 on top of my $700 980 Ti" is pretty true for a rig that will ring it at around $1600 I am still the kind of person that likes to be thrifty where I can be and again I don't expect these lights to be on more than like 10 hours a week :( . Then again Christmas is around the corner and at this point my only suggestions were more dress clothes and a nice kitchen knife set... so a gadget would be nice.

Thanks again

Edit: I cannot believe that googling ever combination of possible feedback words and phrases did not bring me to this guy :no: