[SOLVED] temp monitor logging?

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
I just replaced my stock cooler for an aftermarket and intend to monitor my temps for awhile. i have CPUID's HWMonitor, Core Temp & HWInfo64.
which is the most accurate? (i know i need to get a handheld temp reader)
Core Temp looks LOW. HWInfo looks HIGH. no that doesn't make HWMonitor right.
honestly, which is the most accurate?
suggestions please?

Solution
Depends wildly really. I don't think there really is a "most accurate" as it's hard to distinguish without also testing the temperatures manually. That and it depends on your CPU, some software (such as HWMonitor) has had some issues with later Ryzen chips.

Technically the most accurate would probably be your BIOS.
But If i were to use any software, I'd use HWInfo.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Depends wildly really. I don't think there really is a "most accurate" as it's hard to distinguish without also testing the temperatures manually. That and it depends on your CPU, some software (such as HWMonitor) has had some issues with later Ryzen chips.

Solution
I just replaced my stock cooler for an aftermarket and intend to monitor my temps for awhile. i have CPUID's HWMonitor, Core Temp & HWInfo64.
which is the most accurate? (i know i need to get a handheld temp reader)
Core Temp looks LOW. HWInfo looks HIGH. no that doesn't make HWMonitor right.
honestly, which is the most accurate?
suggestions please?
What CPU do you have?

For Ryzen...especially Zen2 chips...HWInfo64 is probably 'best' since it reports die temperature from CPU telemetry (SVI2) so it is most accurate. And it logs, and its free.

Aida64 is also pretty good and logs but you really need to pay for the license since it's time-limited.

Reactions: Cuss_ed

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019

yeah but BIOS temp is questionable. "trust nothing after a heavy load" ie: BOOT

Why is BIOS temp questionable?
BIOS is a good place to start as it will run without power saving features so you get a decent idea as to what lower load will be.

Not sure about Intel, but I am informed that AMD multi-core/SMT processors will be running BIOS on one core/thread only. As such, it is hardly even remotely representative of processor performance in the OS.

Reactions: Cuss_ed

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not sure about Intel, but I am informed that AMD multi-core/SMT processors will be running BIOS on one core/thread only.
I've not heard these reports, so i'd be interesting, but I didn't see it as part of it because it's an older Intel processor, where the BIOS will always have a slightly higher temp that OS, because of said power saving features, so it's just a good indicator is my main point.

Regardless I'd be interested to see those reports!

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
OK, my apologies, i spoke too soon. (it was late & i was tired. no excuse)
i stopped checking BIOS temp (pre- new cooler) because it was always 15C+ over OS monitored temps but after restarting just now i see BIOS cpu temp is a sensible mid 20's so yes it is a good place to start.
but, my concern here is logging software. 'accurate' logging software. i want to log a variety of tasks and check temps vs performance.