Tempature of CPU seems high to me with watercooling installed

vinnyA+

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Hello all, I know my build is old and being replaced soon, but my curiosity has me wondering. I have a core i5-3570k cooled by a 240mm Corsair h100i v2, with temps hitting 46 degrees Celsius idle, and load temps about 54-67 degrees Celsius. Its summer time with no air conditioning in my home so the room temp is about 30 degrees Celsius. Do you believe this is high for water cooled? Paste hasn't been changed since installed about 4 years ago. Just wondering if something is off. Thank you

The temps seem kind of meh. They are not bad, but I would expect more (performance ... less temperature). You run the pump at full speed? Do fans vary with the CPU? Could be some dust build up in the rads. Got a can of compressed air?

vinnyA+

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Hey thanks for the reply. My mobo is ancient too, the asus maximus V Formula Z77, and the fans are plugged into there attached to the radiator. I have no clue how to set the fan speed of the fans.....Any suggestions or programs I could use? iCue only shows me the RPM of fans. And also no dust at all, I dust and blow every month.

vinnyA+

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Thanks for the reply. I heard things of ivy bridge running naturally hot? Maybe its just my room being an oven too...

i think many people expect a bit too much of water cooling, truthfully.

Nothing wrong with the temps posted....

This is water cooled by a fan in a small radiator inside a case inside a 30C room,... not a 1 HP -chiller-cart, right? :)..

vinnyA+

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Yeah I want it FROZEN! haha! but old parts, old cpu. Upgrade coming soon with easier fan control than this mobo. Thanks for the answer

vinnyA+

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, just figured out all the fans in my case are 3-pin, cannot control PWM. All must be done through ancient motherboard BIOS which doesnt allow for decent fan speeds. Thank you all for answers

PWM or DC control does not matter at full speed. Full speed is full speed. It's just a different way of doing less than full speed. The only real problem with 3 pin fans is if you try to slow them too much they sometimes stop.

1. Plug the pump into one of the chassis fan outputs.
2. Plug the fans into the CPU fan output.
3. Go into BIOS and set the chassis fan output that you used to full and set the CPU to normal (or something similar ... you can try full, but if the fans are too loud, then set it to normal ... don't use silent.).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3pin analog fans work on voltage control, which by definition isn't very effective. Generally you'll get a 60% to 100% duty cycle, which translates about 7v to 12v. Really good fans might go as low as 5v, or 40% but any lower than that means the fan doesn't have enough power to overcome the weight of the fan blades and bearing resistance and turn the fan.

Pwm is a pulsed electrical source. It's constantly 12v, but the pulse will switch the fan on/off variably according to rpm needs. So the fan itself is always at full power potential, but in a constant state of trying to get to full speed. This allows pwm fans to go as low as 18%-20% of rated rpm.

Age is irrelevant and has nothing to do with actual fan speeds. If a fan is capable of 3000rpm, the 3pin fans will run @1800rpm to 3000rpm ±5-10%. If your fan is only capable (like mine) of 1000rpm, you'll get 400-1000rpm. Understand that rpm is not a measure of performance, design is. If a 1000rpm fan is rated at 60cfm and a 2000rpm fan is rated at 90cfm at idle speeds of 60% the 1000rpm fan is spinning 600rpm for 36cfm while the 2000rpm fan is spinning at a noisy 1200rpm for 54cfm. Double the rpm for less than double the airflow.

Asus fanXpert is the single best fan control software there is, far easier to use and setup than SpeedFan, both of which I use on my Asus and msi z77 mobo's instead of the insipid bios.

vinnyA+

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Thanks for the explanation, my motherboard does not support fanXpert but looks nice.

vinnyA+

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Disabled asus-Q fan control on motherboard, and set all fans to turbo in BIOS, just to see. Absolutely nothing changes in RPM, or noise level of fans.....

So it sounds like your fans were already on full speed. Checking the tech specs of that cooler, that should be 2435 RPM (ish). https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Dual-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series%E2%84%A2-H100i-v2-Extreme-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060025-WW

So, are your temperatures bad ... No. Are they great ... No.

vinnyA+

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Yeah I agree.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depending on generation, your mobo will definitely support asus fanXpert, either I, II or III. All asus mobo's support it.

But that only controls the headers. With the Corsair pump plugged into cpu_fan header, all fan control goes through the USB connection, controlled by the Corsair software, so won't be affected by bios or fanXpert. As such, the cpu_fan header should have Qfan disabled anyways and be set to 100% duty cycle, max speed, permanently. You'll have to trust that unless you have the new corsair maglev fans, 2400+ rpm on the normal corsair series is abysmally loud and you'd know it for sure if the fans were maxed out.