Tempcore and Aida64 showing absurd temperatures for my AMD FX-6300.

Tian10an

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
Hey there,

I recently changed my CPU fan from the stock one that came with my fx6300 to a Noctua NH D-14. Today I checked to see the temperatures I was getting. First I booted up Aida64 and it showed that the first core of the CPU is at a constant 128 degrees. At this point in time I panicked and quickly shut off my computer. I rechecked to see if everything was correctly connected and everything seemed to work so I tried using Core Temp instead. According to Core Temp, I was idling at 6 degrees. That doesn't really make any sense. 6 degrees with just an air cooler and stock case fans? It feels very odd. I stress tested the CPU for 10 minutes and it shows that my CPU at 100% is at 20 degrees. Which is an absolute insane temperature. There is no way my NH D-14 can get to those temperatures. My case is the NZXT Source 210 with the stock fans by the way.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is there something wrong my CPU sensor?

Solution
You have to use AMD Overdrive to check the thermal margins; temperatures are not accurate on an FX CPU. With that cooler, your thermal margins should be good (greater than 10°C at full load).

Tian10an

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

Ahhh that makes sense. Sorry, I'm still kind of new to building computers and stuff. Thank you very much for your quick reply :)