[SOLVED] temperature changes rapidly (NZXT KRAKEN X62 + i7-7000K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROOKI_BAZOOKI

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
I have a stock klock speed on my i7 -7700K andd temperature changes between 40-70-80 rapidly while idling. i don't think that X62 can't cool stock 7700K. (15% usage 45-50c min, 25c in my room). sometimes overheats and freezes while running games

CPU: Intel core i7-7700K
Motherboard: GIGABYTE AORUS Z270X-Gaming 7
Ram: 3x Kingston HyperX 4GB
SSD/HDD: 256GB Intel SSD+ WD red 4TB
GPU:MSI AMD Radeon R7 370 gaming 4G
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Chassis: NZXT H440

okay, so the thing that was causing broblems is very unexpected. it was just a bouncing DVD logo wallpaper with total hits and corner hits counter (wallpaper engine) on my second screen. the cpu usage was bouncing so fast that my water cooler couldn't handle those rapid temp changes. that's a good lesson fou all of us. pick your wallpapers carefully! now I have a static black wallpaper which is better because it doesn't distract you (DVD logo didn't distract me tbh) and has no cpu/gpu usage

Last edited:
Solution
CPU temp reporting is the internal die thermal sensor. There isn't a cooler out there that is going to prevent this value from bouncing around, and what you are likely listing as 'idle' likely has several background tasks taking processor time. You would want to look at task manager to see what is loading the CPU.

Yes, an X62 can cool a stock 7700k just fine.

I am more concerned about the overheating/freezing scenario. Tjunction for the 7700k is 100C, so unless you are seeing this, it is unlikely that it is 'over heating' unless you have more info to infer otherwise. Sounds like this is likely due to something else.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
CPU temp reporting is the internal die thermal sensor. There isn't a cooler out there that is going to prevent this value from bouncing around, and what you are likely listing as 'idle' likely has several background tasks taking processor time. You would want to look at task manager to see what is loading the CPU.

I am more concerned about the overheating/freezing scenario. Tjunction for the 7700k is 100C, so unless you are seeing this, it is unlikely that it is 'over heating' unless you have more info to infer otherwise. Sounds like this is likely due to something else.

Solution

ROOKI_BAZOOKI

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019

everything is okay and I put the solution for this problem above. how do I mark question as "solved"?

ROOKI_BAZOOKI

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
Do you still have an issue with freezing or crashing? This would seem to indicate another issue, but likely not cooling related unless you have specifics to indicate otherwise?
No, I had an issue with KSP-it often uses a lot of CPU resources. The DVD wallpaper was on my second monitor so it was using CPU while gaming. Kraken could’t handle KSP+wallpaper that changed CPU usage rapidly (i guess) and this led to overheating and freezes. Now it’s fine and KSP finally running smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.