Question Temperature spike with no corresponding load on my 7800x3d

Jul 13, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem where my CPU will, what seems like, randomly jump up from my normal 40C idle with 2% utilization and 8 watt pull to 80C idle at 10% utilization and only pulling around 13 watts, once the temp spikes they will not go down until I shut my pc off and boot it up again. This happens mostly a minute or two after booting up my pc but has also often spiked when I open various programs like my browser or a game launcher, if it doesn't spike with the game launcher then it will usually spike while i'm playing a game at a time unknown to me because i'm not focused on it. When the temps spike I am also unable to shutdown, sleep, or restart my pc as the screens go black but the pc stays on with all the fans spinning endlessly. The only way it turns off is when I hold the power button, or obviously if I shut off my PSU. I have updated bios, general graphic drivers, and motherboard chipset drivers to no avail. My hunch is that some program starts in the background and triggers the temp spike but that only makes sense for the times it spikes soon after a boot, not after an hour or more of use. PBO is disabled and I have no overclock on any part of my pc as of now.

SPECS
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B650 Elite Ax Ice
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800x3d
GPU: RX 6700XT
COOLER: Arctic Liquid Freezer III 240
RAM: 32g 6000Mt/s
CASE: Lian Li O11 Vision