Temporary CPU upgrade advice

elerrina

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Hi all

I'm looking for a new cpu for my current motherboard due to issues I'm getting in WoW particularly. The latests patch is apparently too much for my current build to handle and my FPS in raids is a massive 5!
I'm saving for a new build currently, but need a temporary fix so I was wondering what CPU would be (if any =/) and upgrade that might solve my problems. Currently i have an Asrock 970 extreme 4 motherboard with an AMD fx8350 eight core processor. The system runs other games fine (recently played assassins creed origins and the new tomb raider admittedly at lowest but they still ran fine) I've been told WoW is a cpu heavy game and this is likely why im getting issues. Any advice? Thanks in advance =)

elerrina

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

I have 12gb ram installed

12 GB is an unusual amount. If you want anyone to know what memory you are using try listing it by part number and/or link to it.

Usually 12GB is a combination of 4GB and an 8GB module that may be just some random modules.

FX-8350 can use 1866MHz memory with one DIMM per channel on a dual channel motherboard. Of course, you should set memory clock speed, DRAM timings, and DRAM voltage to the memory manufacturers recommended specifications. What that would be for 12GB RAM, I wouldn't know.

elerrina

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the memory is a mix from my old computer too. I've had a look and I have 2 x Crucial - Ballistix 2 GB DDR3-1333 Memory and then 1 Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM. So do you think this could be a potential issue and would it be better to scrap the older memory for some new ones? My knowledge of this stuff is quite basic so I appreciate the help.

christopherjames

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Matched memory is always a good idea but in the real world even if you got two matched 8 Gigabyte sticks it won't make any real difference. With good cooling, good psu and a better board most 8350's will run at 4.6 GHz to 4.8 GHz without any kind of thermal throttling. I would just live with it till you can spring for a Ryzen build. Your options are very limited.

elerrina

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Kinda hard to live with when the game is unplayable :chaudar: