BardiaMGTGC

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
my cpu is a core i5 7400
cooler is cooler master gemini ii rgb
on windows doing nothing i get 50 c
on 50 percent usage i get 70 and on 100 usage i get up to 87
is it ok?
i changed from intel stock to this cooler four months ago maybe i did too much thermal paste or sth and also the fan is like a bit loose cause its soo big and i couldnt get the last screw to go in

Solution
Terminology is important. There's a huge difference between a fan being loose, which means next to nothing, and the heatsink being loose, which can vastly change temps.

As for idle temps, that's also subjective. Bios is not idle. Bios is actually a very large load, so temps of 50°C are not uncommon. Idle is in windows environment, with task manager reporting @ 5% load or less. A temp there of 50°C is quite high. Understand that idle temps are mostly a byproduct of airflow and ambient temps. The average idle temp is @ 6-12°C ± from ambient, with decent airflow. With crappy airflow that can climb as high as 20°C. So for a 50°C idle, that means ambient temps are close to 40°C ± or in the 30°C range with really bad airflow case

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The fan is loose? Or the heatsink itself is loose?

Anything like that needs to be tightened in an X pattern. You get all 4 screws started, then X pattern a few turns at a time. Do not tighten fully 1 screw at a time. You'll snug down the cooler/fan, then go from a few turns to half/quarter runs until tight. Not one at a time or you warp everything and won't be able to get that last screw in.

Reset whatever you need to, get all the screws etc in correctly and snug, then check temps.

Csib1337

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
95 is too high. Idle temp looks normal. If anything is loose especially the fan then the air can't Flow the right direction. I had a problem like this once, the fán was loose then it Fried my vga.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Terminology is important. There's a huge difference between a fan being loose, which means next to nothing, and the heatsink being loose, which can vastly change temps.

As for idle temps, that's also subjective. Bios is not idle. Bios is actually a very large load, so temps of 50°C are not uncommon. Idle is in windows environment, with task manager reporting @ 5% load or less. A temp there of 50°C is quite high. Understand that idle temps are mostly a byproduct of airflow and ambient temps. The average idle temp is @ 6-12°C ± from ambient, with decent airflow. With crappy airflow that can climb as high as 20°C. So for a 50°C idle, that means ambient temps are close to 40°C ± or in the 30°C range with really bad airflow case

Solution