Temps went up on 3570k?

davisonbrah

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Im giving my old pc to my son. i put a few new components in and my temps went up?

Temps with old components 32-38 idle 70 max (overwatch-after 2 3 hours of gaming.
3570k @ 4.2
rx480
cx500m
z77 ex4
8 gig corsair xms
Cm t4 cooler

New component temps -35-40 idle 73 (after first game of overwatch)
cx500m changed to supernova g3 550
8 gb xms to 16 gb ripjaws

I ran into issues when throwing new stuff in and i basically ripped everything out of pc because that t4 is a bitch to work around let alone get that tension bar right while its in pc. when i was about to throw motherboard back in i noticed that tension bar wasnt lined up in middle grooves. so i adjusted while it was on cpu. it slid around a bit. also left front intake fan unhooked (just missed it and figured id hook up later). Dont think that will make much of a difference being it still have plenty of fans and ventilation. 120 mm side intake, 120 mm back exhaust, 140 mm top exhaust

Should they have gone up with whats done? Im 100percent not doing that again lol. was such a pain in my ass with this cooler. If it seems to be issue im going to throw cheap water cooler in it and call it a day.

Solution
You should probable take the cooler off and re-install it with fresh thermal paste. As you adjusted it, it could have got air pockets in the existing thermal paste that is reducing thermal efficiency. You also want to make sure it is sitting perfectly flat. That is likely all the issue is. The new RAM may have pushed temps up slightly too, as you have more hardware generating more heat. That usually wouldn't amount to much though.
You should probable take the cooler off and re-install it with fresh thermal paste. As you adjusted it, it could have got air pockets in the existing thermal paste that is reducing thermal efficiency. You also want to make sure it is sitting perfectly flat. That is likely all the issue is. The new RAM may have pushed temps up slightly too, as you have more hardware generating more heat. That usually wouldn't amount to much though.

Solution