[SOLVED] Tempted to get a 10600K

heavy-reign

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2015
Been looking to upgrade my CPU (and motherboard) and I was looking at the 5600x. The problem is I haven't seen any in stock for the last month and at this point I don't have any idea on when I can get my hands on one.

The 10600K is $255 USD right now on Newegg and I'm really tempted at this point to get one. I don't use my PC for streaming or as a workstation, it's just either for gaming or some work.

Would this be a stupid decision?

Solution
Been looking to upgrade my CPU (and motherboard) and I was looking at the 5600x. The problem is I haven't seen any in stock for the last month and at this point I don't have any idea on when I can get my hands on one.

The 10600K is $255 USD right now on Newegg and I'm really tempted at this point to get one. I don't use my PC for streaming or as a workstation, it's just either for gaming or some work.

I have a 10600K and it can handle anything I use it for, gaming and some work loads. I have 0 issues with it and no regrets buying it.
Realistically the 5600x is 10% stronger absolutely best case scenario.

In a perfect world the 5600x would be the first choice obviously but the 10600k is still a very good cpu.

So no,not really stupid and if you need to build now it's pretty much unavoidable.

Last edited:

Rufusw

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I was thinking exactly the same. At the moment intel chips aren't a bad choice.

I'm even wondering if I really need anything faster than the 10400F, which is amazing value.

Also worth mentioning, from the videos I've watched under GPU bound conditions (usually the limiting factor), for some reason intel chips tend to offer a few FPS extra than AMD.

Jan 9, 2021
I learned about latest Intel processors from Uniscolian where I found that between Core i9-10900K processors are the latest and with best cpu speed up to 5.3 GHz which is the best. But there is also X series processors like heavy-reign is using. Core i9-10900X which is also comparatively higher price than i9-10900K but has a max cpu speed of 4.7GHz only. Why 10 generation X series have higher price than 10 generation K series having low max cpu speed?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

I have a 10600K and it can handle anything I use it for, gaming and some work loads. I have 0 issues with it and no regrets buying it.

Solution

heavy-reign

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2015
I was thinking exactly the same. At the moment intel chips aren't a bad choice.

I'm even wondering if I really need anything faster than the 10400F, which is amazing value.

Also worth mentioning, from the videos I've watched under GPU bound conditions (usually the limiting factor), for some reason intel chips tend to offer a few FPS extra than AMD.

I agree, the ryzen 5 3600 is a great CPU but its not a great deal with it being $200 USD