[SOLVED] tenda nova mw5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2019
I have just bought and installed the Tenda Nova MW5-3 system and its great, however, I still have DHCP enabled on the main ISP router and all the wired devices are getting DHCP from that in a 192.1681.1-254 range, and the wireless devices are getting the DHCP from the MW5 and are in the 192.168.5.1-254 range. This means that the wired cannot speak or see the wireless and vice versa. Does anyone know if it is possible to set up the MW5 to either be the only device handing out IP's via DHCP or is there a way for the 2 IP Ranges to live in harmony?

Solution
All depends if you can run the new router as AP. If it does not have that feature you should be able to use a lan port and disable the dhcp server and reassign the lan ip.

Your problem is the standard port forwarding issue people have with access lan stuff from the internet. Can't really be fixed with consumer grade gear you need actual routers to really run multiple subnets.
All depends if you can run the new router as AP. If it does not have that feature you should be able to use a lan port and disable the dhcp server and reassign the lan ip.

Your problem is the standard port forwarding issue people have with access lan stuff from the internet. Can't really be fixed with consumer grade gear you need actual routers to really run multiple subnets.

Solution
Sep 28, 2019
Ok, I’ll have a look tomorrow, it’s just odd that when the you setup the Tenda, to be Able to use the parental controls etc you have to use the dhcp, but it’s just getting messy when I try to turn off dhcp on the isp router and use the same subnet. The tenda didn’t like being on x.x.1.x it kept changing to x.x.2.x which wouldn’t allow me on to the internet.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll update tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to use the parental control you are going to have to run it as a router. When you run it as a AP the traffic in effect bypasses the cpu chip so none of the fancy stuff works.

You best option if you must use is to only plug the tenda into the ISP route and plug everything else into the tenda even if that means you need a switch to get more ports. You may want to see if you can run the ISP router as only a modem/bridge. In general it does not hurt to have router behind router but it can cause issue for things like game consoles.

Sep 28, 2019
Ok, I think the way the wiring is, it should be as easy as swapping a cable. I’ll see what I can do on the router to change it’s role. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.