Terminal Service Configuration

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

We use mstsc to do remote administration on 12 Windows 2003 servers. We
always connect through the same domain account. The problem is that when I
am connected, anyone else in our server management group can connect at the
same time and kick me off. They don't know they are doing it (until I start
screaming). So I have two questions:

1) how can I tell if someone is connected before I try to connect
2) how can I prevent another user from stealing my remote session

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Give all administrators their own account.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Jim de Graff" <rjdegraff@hydro.mb.ca> wrote in

> We use mstsc to do remote administration on 12 Windows 2003
> servers. We always connect through the same domain account. The
> problem is that when I am connected, anyone else in our server
> management group can connect at the same time and kick me off.
> They don't know they are doing it (until I start screaming). So
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) how can I tell if someone is connected before I try to
> connect 2) how can I prevent another user from stealing my
> remote session

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Can't do that since we want to open with /console.

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Give all administrators their own account.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "Jim de Graff" <rjdegraff@hydro.mb.ca> wrote in
>
> > We use mstsc to do remote administration on 12 Windows 2003
> > servers. We always connect through the same domain account. The
> > problem is that when I am connected, anyone else in our server
> > management group can connect at the same time and kick me off.
> > They don't know they are doing it (until I start screaming). So
> > I have two questions:
> >
> > 1) how can I tell if someone is connected before I try to
> > connect 2) how can I prevent another user from stealing my
> > remote session

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Yes, I understand that, otherwise you wouldn't throw out an
existing console session. What is the problem with having
different administrative user accounts connecting with /console?

Apart from solving your initial problem, this solution also has
the advantage that server changes are traceable to a specific
administrator, not just to a shared account.

--

> Can't do that since we want to open with /console.
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> Give all administrators their own account.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>>
>> "Jim de Graff" <rjdegraff@hydro.mb.ca> wrote in
>>
>> > We use mstsc to do remote administration on 12 Windows 2003
>> > servers. We always connect through the same domain account.
>> > The problem is that when I am connected, anyone else in our
>> > server management group can connect at the same time and kick
>> > me off. They don't know they are doing it (until I start
>> > screaming). So I have two questions:
>> >
>> > 1) how can I tell if someone is connected before I try to
>> > connect 2) how can I prevent another user from stealing my
>> > remote session

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Mostly because we don't want two (or more) people making changes to the same
machine at the same time. We restrict it to one account for this reason. At
least PC Anywhere has the decency to notify you if it is already connected
to another user. I'd hate to think that I'd have to hack together a wrapper
for mstsc to check for an active session. That seems pretty lame.

> Yes, I understand that, otherwise you wouldn't throw out an
> existing console session. What is the problem with having
> different administrative user accounts connecting with /console?
>
> Apart from solving your initial problem, this solution also has
> the advantage that server changes are traceable to a specific
> administrator, not just to a shared account.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "de Graff" <rjdegraff@hydro.mb.ca> wrote in
>
> > Can't do that since we want to open with /console.
> >
> > "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> > in message
> >> Give all administrators their own account.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vera Noest
> >> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> >> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
> >>
> >> "Jim de Graff" <rjdegraff@hydro.mb.ca> wrote in

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

But that's precisely the point!

If all administrators have their own account to connect to the
console session, they will get a warning when someone else is already
connected to the console session, and a choice to overtake the
session or cancel their on connection.