Question Terrible fps and stuttering on new high end PC?

Dec 9, 2023
I just finished building my new PC only to find that any game I play runs terribly. It doesn't seem to matter how demanding or not the game is. I've tried resetting and turning on the XMP setting in the bios, but neither worked. I'm not sure what else to try. This is my first build and as far as I can tell everything is working as it should. Temperatures don't go far above the average idle temps when running a game, and task manager indicates there's no bottlenecks with CPU usage or memory problems. What am I missing?

Motherboard: ASRock B650E PG Riptide WiFi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Video Card: MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 4080
Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32 (2 x 16) DDR5 6400
SSDs: 2 Corsair MP600 PRO LPX M.2 2280 4TB PCI-Express 4.0 x 4 NVMe
Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 FX CPU Air Cooler
Monitor: MSI G273CQ 27" QHD 2560 x 1440 1ms 170hz
Case: be quiet! SHADOW BASE 800 FX
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x 850W

Solution
Just finished, like seriously just turned the machine on or?

Did you go to the motherboard manufacturers site and download all the drivers and utilities that pertain to your use/system?
Did you go to the manufacturers website and download the newest graphics driver?

When a PC is first built, it is not unusual for Windows Update and other things to be running in the background which could be causing performance issues.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Did you go to the motherboard manufacturers site and download all the drivers and utilities that pertain to your use/system?
Did you go to the manufacturers website and download the newest graphics driver?

When a PC is first built, it is not unusual for Windows Update and other things to be running in the background which could be causing performance issues.

Solution
Dec 9, 2023

I'm super late on this I know, but I did this as soon as I saw your message and it did just the trick. My computer knowledge is not great so I was pleased the solution was easy. I'm grateful for your help!