Question Terrible performance from 6700 XT ?

Sep 6, 2023
Hello, I bought an XFX 6700 XT a few weeks ago in preparation for playing Starfield. Prior to playing the new game I had somewhat lackluster performance with it playing Cyberpunk 2077, although it was still fine but not a hugely noticeable upgrade over my old NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super. But with Starfield I am getting about 20-30 FPS on medium settings and about 15-20 FPS on ultra; the game is very jerky with these rates. I thought maybe its my CPU (Ryzen 7 2700x), which admittedly is a bit old, but others don't seem to be having nearly this bad as performance. Any ideas on what is causing this? Is the card defective? Or is it a bottleneck issue with the CPU or other part? My parts list:
- GPU: XFX AMD 6700XT
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
- Mobo: ASUS Tufgaming B450m
- PSU: ARESGAME AGV Series 750W Power Supply, 80 Plus Bronze Certified
- RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM (4x8GB)
- SSD: 1x M.2 1TB SSD (games installed here), 1x 2.5" SATA III SSD
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cpu might be a little bit of a bottleneck in starfield, but in this game ram bandwith does matter
gamernexus video showed that game stops scaling at ddr5 6000
View: https://imgur.com/9wb50lv

here they have 2600x which is close in performance to your CPU with ram at 2933MHz

mine 3800x doesnt drop below 60fps, not even in atlantis, but i do have 3600 cl16, compared to above benchmark which dropping below 60fps at 3200mhz ram and probably basic xmp timings

anyway, your cpu is under minimum requirements for 30fps gameplay...so start with low preset?

Reactions: Odoylerrulez
Aug 27, 2023
Did you completely removed old Nvidia drivers using DDU software? I read one topic on this forum that this is required to do when switching from Nvidia to AMD cause leftovers from Nvidia drivers might cause some issues.

Here is quote of one of the users which i saved because I will be in the same boat in few days/weeks as i’m planning to switch my GTX1070Ti for something from AMD 6XXX/7XXX series:

„It may not be a must, but I'd do it anyway to avoid issues. It really helps clean up the old drivers. If you don't use it sometimes you might have strange performance issues due to leftover drivers from nvidia. Just go ahead and use it. It doesn't take very long really.

Here are your steps

1. Download ddu and keep a copy
  2. Remove previous gpu from case
  3. Dust things out and general cleanup while your in there.

Not a must but good time to do it.

1. Physically install new gpu.
  2. Run ddu and remove old drivers.
  3. Go to amd.com and download and install the latest drivers.

I'd recommend going on You Tube as well to check some videos on the way to set up your options. Once you do it a few times you'll start finding your way but it's definitely a bit of a change if coming from an nvidia card as far as layout etc.”

Sep 6, 2023
Did you completely removed old Nvidia drivers using DDU software? I read one topic on this forum that this is required to do when switching from Nvidia to AMD cause leftovers from Nvidia drivers might cause some issues.

Here is quote of one of the users which i saved because I will be in the same boat in few days/weeks as i’m planning to switch my GTX1070Ti for something from AMD 6XXX/7XXX series:

„It may not be a must, but I'd do it anyway to avoid issues. It really helps clean up the old drivers. If you don't use it sometimes you might have strange performance issues due to leftover drivers from nvidia. Just go ahead and use it. It doesn't take very long really.

Here are your steps

1. Download ddu and keep a copy
  2. Remove previous gpu from case
  3. Dust things out and general cleanup while your in there.

Not a must but good time to do it.

1. Physically install new gpu.
  2. Run ddu and remove old drivers.
  3. Go to amd.com and download and install the latest drivers.

I'd recommend going on You Tube as well to check some videos on the way to set up your options. Once you do it a few times you'll start finding your way but it's definitely a bit of a change if coming from an nvidia card as far as layout etc.”
Thanks. I uninstalled the old drivers but did not DDU so i will do that and let you all know what i found.

Reactions: Nexus713
Sep 6, 2023
Dangerous trash

At what speed is the RAM set in the BIOS of the motherboard?

What BIOS version is the motherboard running?
I just realized the RAM is running at a lower speed so apparently I have to go into the BIOS and run DOCP to make sure it's running correctly at 3200 (I have two sticks of 3000 and two sticks of 3200). I may also just remove the two slower sticks and see if that helps.

BIOS version is American Megatrends 1804, 7/29/2019 - hadn't looked at this before. Maybe needs an update?

Why is that PSU dangerous trash?

Thanks for your help.

I just realized the RAM is running at a lower speed so apparently I have to go into the BIOS and run DOCP to make sure it's running correctly at 3200
I doubt it will run over 2666 with 4 sticks
I may also just remove the two slower sticks and see if that helps.
Yes, only use the 3200 sticks in slot A2 and B2
BIOS version is American Megatrends 1804, 7/29/2019 - hadn't looked at this before. Maybe needs an update?
Definitely, yes.
Why is that PSU dangerous trash?
Bad protections, terrible voltage regulation and horrible quality.
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ It's Tier F for a reason. Replace immidiately!

Sep 6, 2023
UPDATE: after removing the old nvidia drivers completely (DDU) and updating the BIOS, I can now play starfield with 55-60 FPS on high/ultra with the same CPU 2700x and with the new GPU 6700XT - so I think this is effectively solved although my CPU does run a little hot (85C) so i may have to apply more thermal paste (been a few years). I think the DDU was the main fix, but updating the BIOS may have helped too. Thanks to everyone!!! Now i don't have to return the GPU and i dont even have to update the CPU just yet.