Question Terrible performance in Games (AMD Ryzen 7800X3D and ASUS RTX 3070)

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
Hey everyone,

I have been struggling recently with some performance issues on my recent new build. I have been attempting to play games such as CS2 with performance in the range of average 150 - 200fps, as shown in this screenshot. 200fps may sound fine to most, however others with similar specs are seeing much better performance in game. See this video as an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1J8KDIbOPY

Specs are as follows:
Motherboard: MSI MPG B650I EDGE
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CPU Cooler: ThermalRight AXP90-X53 Black
GPU: Nvidia GTX 3070 (ASUS DUAL-OC 8GB GDDR6)
RAM: G.Skill DDR5 Ripjaws S5 32GB (6000mhz)
Power Supply: Corsair SF750 Platinum (750W)
SSD 1: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD
SSD 2: 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
Case: Fractal Design Terra

AMD EXPO - Enabled
Rest of the Bios is left at default.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix this issue, I even replaced the RAM kit that I have been using with another similar and the issue still persists. I am starting to believe that I have a bad CPU or Motherboard (which I hope is not the case).

Does anyone have any ideas, as to what could be causing this terrible performance issue?

Thanks,
Danny

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
First, don't believe those videos.

Second, have you run any benchmarks to fully assess your rig?
Thanks for the fast reply.

It isn't just those videos I am using as a comparison. My friend has basically the same rig and gets around 400fps in CS2 whilst streaming.

Yes, I have ran Furmark on my GPU and there are no issues (as expected as this GPU has never had any issues even on my older rig).

Cinebench R32, my CPU did reach 89c however higher temps are expected when running such a program (score 17500).

RAM I will not even bother testing, as this same issue is present on multiple kits.

I am leaning towards a motherboard issue. Sometimes when I reboot the performance seems better but only slightly.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Lots of factors to consider when comparing two similar (but not identical) systems. That is why performance articles/comparisons describe hardware, software, and settings baselines. To ensure as direct a comparison as possible. One game setting difference can have a huge impact.

Are you OCing anything?

What are your CPU and GPU typical idle and loaded temperatures?

Is your motherboard BIOS and main drivers (chipset, video, network, and audio) fully up to date?

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
Lots of factors to consider when comparing two similar (but not identical) systems. That is why performance articles/comparisons describe hardware, software, and settings baselines. To ensure as direct a comparison as possible. One game setting difference can have a huge impact.

Are you OCing anything?

What are your CPU and GPU typical idle and loaded temperatures?

Is your motherboard BIOS and main drivers (chipset, video, network, and audio) fully up to date?

Idle I sit around 45 - 55c cpu and like 35 - 40c GPU.
Loaded CPU is between 65 - 80 and GPU 45c - 55c

All chipset and graphics drivers are up to date (even used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove and reinstall graphics drivers)

I wasn't OCing anything. I have turned EXPO off and ON and the performance difference is minimal (making me think its something else).

I did also turn PBO on and set the Curve Optimizer to Negative 30. No crashes, tests were stable. However, performance was only 'slightly' better.

dave.rara66

Honorable
Dec 19, 2017
One thing that hasn't been brought up here is your monitor. What resolution is it? And are you sure it's the same as your friends? If the friend's monitor is 1080- and you're at 1440p that will make a big difference in framerates.

Also, if I were troubleshooting this issue, the first component I'd be looking at is the GPU. Do you have GPU-Z installed? If not, you should. Run it in the background and select the Sensors tab. In the drop-down menus for every sensor, select "Show Highest Reading". Game for a bit and then scroll down to PerfCap Reason. It will show what is limiting the card. Hover over the Perfcap word to see an explanation for each code. Also, be sure to look at your cpu and gpu temps, and gpu load.

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
One thing that hasn't been brought up here is your monitor. What resolution is it? And are you sure it's the same as your friends? If the friend's monitor is 1080- and you're at 1440p that will make a big difference in framerates.

Also, if I were troubleshooting this issue, the first component I'd be looking at is the GPU. Do you have GPU-Z installed? If not, you should. Run it in the background and select the Sensors tab. In the drop-down menus for every sensor, select "Show Highest Reading". Game for a bit and then scroll down to PerfCap Reason. It will show what is limiting the card. Hover over the Perfcap word to see an explanation for each code. Also, be sure to look at your cpu and gpu temps, and gpu load.
Hey,

So I am using a 1080p monitor currently (I understand changes such as resolution will impact performance) however we are on the same specs, and using the same settings). I understand other things can affect this but it shouldnt be this drastic.

One thing that I have noticed, is that my RTX 3070 is sat at about 90% usage when playing CS2, but is pulling only 130W, is this normal? Could this be the reason why the performance seems lack luster?

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
Hey,

So I am using a 1080p monitor currently (I understand changes such as resolution will impact performance) however we are on the same specs, and using the same settings). I understand other things can affect this but it shouldnt be this drastic.

One thing that I have noticed, is that my RTX 3070 is sat at about 90% usage when playing CS2, but is pulling only 130W, is this normal? Could this be the reason why the performance seems lack luster?
Ok so I believe I have found my issue.

I rebooted my pc, and for some reason, I randomly started seeing 350 - 400 fps (much better experience but still not the best).

The one thing that has changed is the "Power Draw", it is now at 170W.

Perfcap is showing "VRel", so unreliable voltage is for sure the reason.

I spent a fair amount of money on my power supply, its the one most people recommend in terms of "reliablility" in SFF systems.

I am currently using a single PCI-E cable from the PSU to my GPU which has 2x6+2pin headers. I have seen online people reccomend 2 separate 6+2 pin PCI-E cables. Could this be my solution?

dave.rara66

Honorable
Dec 19, 2017
Yes that is definitely low for 90%. It would also explain your temps while gaming - they should be higher than you quoted.

Are you sure both 8-pin power connectors are fully connected at both ends? Are you are using both, right? ;)

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
Yes that is definitely low for 90%. It would also explain your temps while gaming - they should be higher than you quoted.

Are you sure both 8-pin power connectors are fully connected at both ends? Are you are using both, right? ;)
Yeah, first thing I checked.

My PC case is super small, the easiest connector to get to is my PCI-E 8 pin power connectors. Unplugged and Re-Plugged those in multiple times.

I have even tried moving them about the other end too, still the same.

Just to be clear, this is a SINGLE cable, with 2 ends (2x8 pin connectors).

dave.rara66

Honorable
Dec 19, 2017
Ok so I believe I have found my issue.

I rebooted my pc, and for some reason, I randomly started seeing 350 - 400 fps (much better experience but still not the best).

The one thing that has changed is the "Power Draw", it is now at 170W.

Perfcap is showing "VRel", so unreliable voltage is for sure the reason.

I spent a fair amount of money on my power supply, its the one most people recommend in terms of "reliablility" in SFF systems.

I am currently using a single PCI-E cable from the PSU to my GPU which has 2x6+2pin headers. I have seen online people recommend 2 separate 6+2 pin PCI-E cables. Could this be my solution?
Well you beat me to it! I would definitely make sure they're seated properly first. If that looks good, I would certainly try separate cables as you mentioned.

dave.rara66

Honorable
Dec 19, 2017
Yeah, first thing I checked.

My PC case is super small, the easiest connector to get to is my PCI-E 8 pin power connectors. Unplugged and Re-Plugged those in multiple times.

I have even tried moving them about the other end too, still the same.

Just to be clear, this is a SINGLE cable, with 2 ends (2x8 pin connectors).
Gotcha. Try the separates and fingers crossed.