[SOLVED] Test bench

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
I'm actually considering going for a test bench instead of a "normal" case for my next PC. Any cool test benches I should be on the lookout for?

Last edited:
Solution
A 'test bench' is nothing more than a motherboard tray on a stand with or without attachments for mounting an aio, water cooling etc. Everything else like the psu just sits on the bench/table etc. There's no place for the power switch unless you add one etc. As said, it's just a bad idea all around unless it serves a realistic purpose.

A case actually does serve a purpose by directing airflow, thermal currents etc which can benefit motherboard components including ram, VRM's, Northbridge/pch etc. You'll not get that on a testbench unless there's some active airflow across the motherboard, part of the reason testers use a large aio that's mounted on the side of the bench where intake fans would be in a case.
Yes, anything and everything that might "accidentally" fall into or touch any part of the build not intended to be touched or fallen into that would normally be protected by the enclosure panels of a normal case.

If you have pets, of any kind, kids, of any kind, or EVER have food or drinks within ten feet of your PC, then having an open or test bench case/mounting is a very bad idea.

If you are not incredibly careful, and by that I mean you are not in ANY WAY clumsy, lack of attention or accident prone, then having a test bench is a very bad idea.

If the room where your hardware resides is carpeted, then it is a very bad idea, because you will inevitably walk across your floor at some point and touch something in your build without discharging yourself on something else first, and zap something.

In general, for 99% of people, this is a bad idea. For the other 1%, they would not even be asking this question.

Reactions: drivinfast247

Lutfij

Titan
Any cool test benches
That coolness factor will soon end up being your worst nightmare, since the structure of your opening post would indicate you're not looking into a test bench for testing purposes. People who do use a test bench, do NOT have people who know little to nothing about PC's, around them. This includes children, pets and the other half that shouldn't be named.

I +9000 what DB has said above. This route is not for the faint of hearts and not for a household with traffic from people/animals who can ruin your gear if they touched something accidentally.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A 'test bench' is nothing more than a motherboard tray on a stand with or without attachments for mounting an aio, water cooling etc. Everything else like the psu just sits on the bench/table etc. There's no place for the power switch unless you add one etc. As said, it's just a bad idea all around unless it serves a realistic purpose.

A case actually does serve a purpose by directing airflow, thermal currents etc which can benefit motherboard components including ram, VRM's, Northbridge/pch etc. You'll not get that on a testbench unless there's some active airflow across the motherboard, part of the reason testers use a large aio that's mounted on the side of the bench where intake fans would be in a case.

Reactions: nbartolo7
Solution