Question Testing and removing dead links software.

Clifford Sanford

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
Testing and removing dead links software. I am looking to find software to test for dead and duplicate favorites in windows edge favorites folder and be deleted. I recall that this was available as a shareware software. Can the members of this forum recommend software for this purpose? Tnx

Clifford Sanford

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
The suggested app at https://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm does not show any ability to delete dead links. Additionally it is unable to delete duplicate links. Ir appears to function well identifying the dead links and duplicate links. Thus a user is still stuck having to delete links individually outside their app. A user still ends up wasting a lot of time. It's easy to understand why this software is made available free of charge as there is no reason to want it. Tnx

gardenman

Splendid
Apparently older versions did allow deleting favorites. A quote from this page says:
Starting with AM-DeadLink 4.7, it's no longer possible to change or delete bookmarks from your Internet Browser. Browser bookmarks should only be deleted within the browser user interface, not via external tools.

A full explanation can be found here and it says you can try the 4.6 version instead.

Apparently the coding for favorites and such has become more complicated in browsers which makes it more difficult for external software to modify and delete them. You could take a chance and try to find an older version (4.6) but the links I looked at for it didn't look too safe so I'm not going to provide one here. Also, it may or may not work correctly. There is a reason that function was removed in the software. Backup before trying it if you want to do that.

Edge now has a built-in function to remove duplicates:
WNMKgkN.jpg

That still leaves no way to remove "Dead links" that I can think of. Maybe someone else will know.

gardenman

Splendid
I just looked at 4.6 and was able to delete an IE favorite. However it did not list Edge favorites.

Assuming you have the new Edge (which must be downloaded and installed), go to "Manage Favorites". On the right you'll see the 3 ellipses, click on that to bring up a drop down menu and you'll see the option to Remove duplicates.

Last edited: